Wowza Community

Unable To Play SMIL

I’m trying to implement dynamic streaming to my current live streams and I’ve followed this tutorial but can’t seem to get the video to play.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-create-and-play-smil-files-with-streams-created-by-wowza-transcoder

I want to publish a live stream and play it with RTMP using the standard video object in Flash using the DynamicStream class as mentioned in the Adobe tutorials linked in the above Wowza tutorial. I’ve seen examples on how to manually add streams for recorded video, but can’t figure out how to do it with a SMIL.

They want you to do something like this:

var ds:DynamicStream = new DynamicStream( myNetConnection );
var dsi:DynamicStreamItem = new DynamicStreamItem();
dsi.addStream( "MP4:sample1_500kbps.f4v", 500 );
dsi.addStream( "MP4:sample1_700kbps.f4v", 700 );
dsi.addStream( "MP4:sample1_1000kbps.f4v", 1000 );
ds.startPlay( dsi );

I haven’t been able to figure out:

A) How to use the SMIL in the DynamicStream workflow

B) What URL to the Wowza server would I use to serve the SMIL when I’m using it for RTMP?

Thanks!

Hello there.

The guide you linked to is probably not the one you want to follow. That guide is for sending adaptive bitrate streams from the origin to the edge in a live stream repeater configuration. In which case the NGRP do not get forwarded to the edge. The idea is that with this tool you can create a SMIL from using the medialist tool on the origin and create a file that you host in the content folder on the edge.

I suggest you take a look at this guide (assuming you have set up the Transcoder template):

How to do adaptive bitrate streaming

You might want to refer back to this guide to double check your Transcoder configuration as well:

How to set up and run Wowza Transcoder for live streaming

And, as a heads up, dynamic streaming for Adobe Flash requires a fair amount of work on the client-side. The following articles on the Adobe site provide details about how to achieve dynamic streaming in Flash:

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Yes I see that the guide you linked to is different, but it ends the same way as the new one you recommended. I have the SMIL file created manually in the content folder.

And I am attempting to play it with RTMP, but those same Adobe guides you have linked there don’t show you how to play an SMIL file in the Flash Player. That’s where I’m lost.

Following all of those links and examples, no where does it actually show how to use the SMIL with the DynamicStream class or any other AS3 method that I can find. I don’t see anywhere an example of how to play LIVE adaptive bitrate streams in the Flash Player.

Also is there anything in the log that would show a request for the SMIL file?

I am sorry but I overlooked this detail yesterday.

Note that RTMP ABR is not directly supported, see the link to method of generating client-side smil for JW Player’s RTMP dynamic streaming.

I guess that’s why there weren’t any tutorials for it then! :smiley: I have my own player written in Flash, so using the JW Player isn’t an option.

So exactly what part isn’t supported?

1. There is no way in the Flash Player to play a SMIL?

2. The DynamicStream class doesn’t support SMIL?

3. Wowza doesn’t generate multi-bitrate RTMP streams?

Tying to figure out the part I need to work around.

I am sorry but I overlooked this detail yesterday.

Note that RTMP ABR is not directly supported, see the link to method of generating client-side smil for JW Player’s RTMP dynamic streaming.

How to use JW Player with adaptive bitrate streaming from Wowza Streaming Engine

How to use JW Player with Wowza Streaming Engine

Best,

Salvadore