Wowza Community

Dynamic Transcoder Logic/Templates

Here is my scenario:

I have various live streams coming into one application (myapp). Some are high quality source streams, some are low quality. Every stream has a different name. I want to use the transcoder to provide multiple streams for adaptive bitrate playback.

The question:

How can I provide logic to have higher quality streams use a certain transcoder template (say providing 4 streams) and lower quality streams use a different transcoder template (say providing only 2 streams).

Thanks!

Hi,

The Transcoder can be set up to match a stream name to a template, so you could create a template that matches each stream and that will provide you with an ABR output of your incoming stream, however this will be per stream. You will likely also need to remove any fallback template so as not to be transcoding streams that don’t match the template.

Unfortunately your suggestion of grouping multiple unique streams into a single transcoder template and then to generate a single ABR output stream is not how the Transcoder is designed to work, assuming if I’ve read your suggestion correctly.

Paul

I did read in the example about the transcoder template per stream, but the problem in my scenario is that I’ll have thousands of constantly changing stream names and there is no standard to their name so I can’t make a file for each one.

Is there a way to write a module that would intercept the stream on startup and if I passed some additional information along, I could tell it which template to use? I’d only need 3 or 4 different templates. I just need a way to sort all the various incoming streams into using one of the 3 or 4.

Actually, I think this is exactly what I need!

https://www.wowza.com/community/questions/681/selecting-transcoder-profile-on-server-side-api.html

Hi,

From a programmatic API point of view, yes this may well provide what you are after, or at least to be used as a basis. I’m sorry, I thought you were just asking from a core product functionality base.

Paul