Thread: Origin -> Edge servers configuration

Default Origin -> Edge servers configuration

Hi ,

I am testing wowza streaming engine on a couple of test vms . I want to scale up a VOD only playing streaming service .
    So I 've found that use of mediacache can help on this matter .
    Since I like to proceed step by step , I first followed instructions from http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....nd-scalability just to see how mediacache is working . I created the Media Cache store (under ${com.wowza.wms.context.ServerConfigHome}) & source (/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/free_content/ with the sample.mp4 file inside) .

After that I created a vod application as described in url above but looks like something is not right . I am testing it using "Test Players" feature but I am getting an error that says that source stream or file could not be found or access was denied .

Error log is not very helpful , It doesn't point to the full pathname wowza is seeking the sample file .

I ve noticed that the tutorial keeps saying that a network storage or nfs export should be the file source - I don't believe this is the issue here .

Anyone else had this kind of problem after following that tutorial ?

Regards,
    Nickitas

Hi,

Did you ensure the application type of your edge is "VOD Edge"? The simplest test would be create a VOD Edge app called "vod-edge", create a MediaCache source (let's call it "file"), with a prefix of "path1/" and a base path of say "/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/test/" (if on Linux, this is a sub folder under the base Wowza install).

Then to refer to content stored in the base path you would construct the URL something like (HDS example)

http://[WOWZA-IP]:1935/vod-edge/_definst_/path1/sample.mp4/manifest.f4m
    You do not need the file source to be an NSF export, though the main reason for using Media Cache is to have the storage on a network and to cache it locally to reduce network traffic for subsequent calls. Using a local filesystem as the source just means you're caching to the same local machine, though I appreciate you may just be doing this to test configuration.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I did what you proposed but I am still having the same problem . I am posting some screen shots of the settings .
    The licence I am using on wowza is a developer one (just in case there is a problem with that) .

Hi,

In the Media File Name box try pre-pending the filename with the media cache source, so something like path1/mp4:sample.mp4 (path1 would map to the free_content sub-directory).

Paul

Hi Paul ,

That worked as expected - thanx .

Now the next step is to scale it up using another wowza server as an edge . How am I gonna be able to perform this ?

Regards,
    Nickitas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    Hi,

In the Media File Name box try pre-pending the filename with the media cache source, so something like path1/mp4:sample.mp4 (path1 would map to the free_content sub-directory).

Paul

Hi,

If looking at multiple Edges then you can keep the media cache config on each edge. Please see this document showing example configs when scaling Media Cache.

[edit]
    Also, you may wish to request our white paper on this subject.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul_S; 05-01-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Thanx Paul , I will give it a try ..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    Hi,

If looking at multiple Edges then you can keep the media cache config on each edge. Please see this document showing example configs when scaling Media Cache.

[edit]
    Also, you may wish to request our white paper on this subject.

Paul