Wowza Community

Origin -> Edge servers configuration

Hi ,

I am testing wowza streaming engine on a couple of test vms . I want to scale up a VOD only playing streaming service .

So I 've found that use of mediacache can help on this matter .

Since I like to proceed step by step , I first followed instructions from https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-scale-video-on-demand-streaming-with-media-cache just to see how mediacache is working . I created the Media Cache store (under ${com.wowza.wms.context.ServerConfigHome}) & source (/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/free_content/ with the sample.mp4 file inside) .

After that I created a vod application as described in url above but looks like something is not right . I am testing it using “Test Players” feature but I am getting an error that says that source stream or file could not be found or access was denied .

Error log is not very helpful , It doesn’t point to the full pathname wowza is seeking the sample file .

I ve noticed that the tutorial keeps saying that a network storage or nfs export should be the file source - I don’t believe this is the issue here .

Anyone else had this kind of problem after following that tutorial ?

Regards,

Nickitas

Hi,

Did you ensure the application type of your edge is “VOD Edge”? The simplest test would be create a VOD Edge app called “vod-edge”, create a MediaCache source (let’s call it “file”), with a prefix of “path1/” and a base path of say “/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/test/” (if on Linux, this is a sub folder under the base Wowza install).

Then to refer to content stored in the base path you would construct the URL something like (HDS example)

http://[WOWZA-IP]:1935/vod-edge/_definst_/path1/sample.mp4/manifest.f4m

You do not need the file source to be an NSF export, though the main reason for using Media Cache is to have the storage on a network and to cache it locally to reduce network traffic for subsequent calls. Using a local filesystem as the source just means you’re caching to the same local machine, though I appreciate you may just be doing this to test configuration.

Paul

Hi,

In the Media File Name box try pre-pending the filename with the media cache source, so something like path1/mp4:sample.mp4 (path1 would map to the free_content sub-directory).

Paul

Hi,

If looking at multiple Edges then you can keep the media cache config on each edge. Please see this document showing example configs when scaling Media Cache.

[edit]

Also, you may wish to request our white paper on this subject.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I did what you proposed but I am still having the same problem . I am posting some screen shots of the settings .

The licence I am using on wowza is a developer one (just in case there is a problem with that) .

Hi Paul ,

That worked as expected - thanx .

Now the next step is to scale it up using another wowza server as an edge . How am I gonna be able to perform this ?

Regards,

Nickitas

Hi,

In the Media File Name box try pre-pending the filename with the media cache source, so something like path1/mp4:sample.mp4 (path1 would map to the free_content sub-directory).

Paul

Thanx Paul , I will give it a try …

Hi,

If looking at multiple Edges then you can keep the media cache config on each edge. Please see this document showing example configs when scaling Media Cache.

[edit]

Also, you may wish to request our white paper on this subject.

Paul