Wowza Community

I want to make a hardware box for H.264 to H.265 trancscoder, need your comments

What knid of specification do you need?

You might take a look at the Transcoder benchmarks for an idea of performance with different configurations.

Wowza Transcoder performance benchmark

Regards,

Salvadore

Are you talking like a rackmount dedicated hardware transcoder?

If so awesome! Had some ideas already myself (and a lot others I think).

In my head something that did H.264 1080, 720, SD and Mobile tenfold would be awesome!

But H.265 4K, 1440, 1080 and 720 as well as that would be epic.

I would have it like modular chips, one chip being able to do one or more streams of varying qualities.

Be able to then package the same thing into multiple places like racks for “cloud” transcoding, backpacks, computers and even on top of cameras!

The modules would then be called via API to pull or be pushed streams to convert and then push or host the output.

As for chips, why not dedicated H.264/5 decoders/encoders? There are many out there and would mean you can lower the costs.

FPGA and ASICs are not that cheap if I remember correctly.

(I am beginner…)

Keep us posted! Interested to see if you go through with it.

Ah I have seen this board before, MS3516A right?

Looks cool. Did not get far myself into these, but I am still working on stuff towards it.

Hi Salvadore, Great article. NVIDIA CUDA encoding acceleration is a good reference for me. It is based on CPU and GPU. I am thinking about FPGA or ASIC.

Hi Jackster, finaly I worked out the hardware, a Hevc encoding board , I tried it successfuly with 1080P 60fps h.265 encoding at real time. I’m so excited to show the lovely picture: