Wowza Community

Wowza + Cloudfront = 3k users??

I have a few newbie questions that I can’t seem to find straight answers on. Please help if you can.

My questions are based on the default AWS/Wowza Cloudformation template for http livestreaming.

1. Does instance size really matter if I have Cloudfront? I typically use m1.xlarge to send 1 livestream from the EC2 Wowza origin to Cloudfront. Eventually ends up at a embedded JWPLayer which is streaming the HLS stream from Cloudfront.

2. I’d like to support 3k concurrent users. This is 30x more than my usual event. Previously I used the setup in question 1. Will this work?

3. Is there a default limit on Cloudfront users? Can it handle 3k users or do I need request an upgrade?

Btw, I prefer to run one Wowza EC2cserver to keeps cost down.

I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Hello,

If you are not transcoding that 1 incoming stream, and if you are delivering it through Cloudfront, then the m1.xlarge instance should be enough.

Since you are delivering your live stream through Cloudfront, then your EC2 Wowza server would have only one incoming connection and 1 playback client (Cloudfront). When a playback user tries to watch your stream through Cloudfront, the CDN will request that particular stream (HTTP stream) from your EC2 instance, and then it will make it available for all the playback clients who will request that content from the Cloudfront CDN.

Normally, Cloudfront should distribute your content across it’s internal delivery network and should have your content automatically available for all clients requesting that content.

I have no information about any bandwidth limitation that Cloudfront might impose, but to be sure, you should check with AWS.

Zoran

Hi,

Please do keep us updated as other forum users might benefit from this information, as well.

Thank you.

Zoran

Zoran,

Thank you for responding. You pretty much confirmed my understanding. I did some checking and found that CloudFront has a default limit of 1000Mbps but they are good and granting upgrades. I’ve already submitted the request and will hopefully have it in place for Friday morning. Fingers crossed