Wowza Community

NEED HELP finding the right module for creating playlist based streams!

We have very specific requirements and are looking to see if there are any existing modules that will suit them.

We need to be able to create a stream that will continuously play the same list of MP3 files (like a playlist). We looked at the StreamPublisher module, but we need to have separate SMIL files for every stream we want to create, so that changing one will not require that ALL other streams need to be restarted. We need a separate SMIL for every stream we want to create.

The user would use a backend system (we already have) to pick the files and order in which they will play and then the SMIL file would be created and somehow the matching stream needs to be restarted.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello,

Just to clarify, are you looking to create a separate stream for each user or a single stream that each user modifies the content within?

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi Radu,

And why don’t you want to create a new application for each station? Each application can use its own SMIL. But if on the same application, to edit each stream’s playlist, it will need to edit part of the same file which is practically illogical and could be disastrous if edited incorrectly.

The best option would be to use a separate application for each station.

Thanks

Inderjeet

Hi Radu,

Correct, you will use an SMIL file to do that. This should be your starting point: How to schedule streaming…

The error you’re indicating could be for several reasons, you can check the error log for specifics but it seems you’re including a live stream in the playlist:

1. Make sure the streamname is correct

2. Start the stream (ingest) manually to the source stream, it must be running already to make this work. Also you need to publish to the same application.

3. the streamname you use in the player will be the streamname you have used in the SMIL file () and follow the rule that everything is case sensitive.

Hope this helps. otherwise, don’t hesitate to ask further.

Regards

Inderjeet

By the way, you can also do a client side playlist alternatively if your solution allows for that. Please refer to your used player’s documentation.

you can ignore that line if you wish to use only mp4 video files. no live content. If you wish to include live stream(s) too in the playlist, then the streams already must be present and live (running). Adding inactive streams won’t work.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for replying. This is what we are trying to accomplish: our clients are individual radio stations and we would like to create a separate stream for each radio station. This stream will play a looping list of MP3 files that they choose via a back-end system we have. The stream will continuously play no matter if anyone is listening or not.

We would like to keep things are separate as possible, since we do not want to restart everything just because one customer of many has made changes.

Cheers,

Radu

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for replying. This is what we are trying to accomplish: our clients are individual radio stations and we would like to create a separate stream for each radio station. This stream will play a looping list of MP3 files that they choose via a back-end system we have. The stream will continuously play no matter if anyone is listening or not.

We would like to keep things are separate as possible, since we do not want to restart everything just because one customer of many has made changes.

Cheers,

Radu

Hi Andrew, do you have an updtye for us?

Thanks

hello Inderjeet

Thank you fro the reply. I will try that, I think we could be OK with multiple applications since we will not have that many.

Cheers!

hello Inderjeet (again)! :slight_smile:

I cannot find a simple example of setting up a straight forward way os streaming a list of files in a row. Is that done with a SMIL file? Cannot find a simple tutorial to just do this. I used the built-in SMIL creation tools and added one files that is in the proper directory BUT when I use the buil-in Test Player I get this:

Source stream or file could not be found or access was denied.

???

Ok, I followed that article and configured all the properties and created the SMIL file. The ONLY thing thing I did not understand was:

1. Start the stream (ingest) manually to the source stream, it must be running already to make this work. Also you need to publish to the same application.

??? Not sure how to do that. Thank you for your patience. :slight_smile:

Hi Radu,

Correct, you will use an SMIL file to do that. This should be your starting point: How to schedule streaming…

The error you’re indicating could be for several reasons, you can check the error log for specifics but it seems you’re including a live stream in the playlist:

1. Make sure the streamname is correct

2. Start the stream (ingest) manually to the source stream, it must be running already to make this work. Also you need to publish to the same application.

3. the streamname you use in the player will be the streamname you have used in the SMIL file () and follow the rule that everything is case sensitive.

Hope this helps. otherwise, don’t hesitate to ask further.

Regards

Inderjeet