Wowza Community

Audio streaming with wowza

Hi,

I am currently hosting videos and streaming them through my Wowza streaming server throughout the organization. Due to bandwidth constraints at various offices I wish to make the audio available for users if the video streaming is not smooth enough. This brings me to my following questions:

1. Is there a way for me to stream only the audio part of the videos(.mp4) using wowza?or do I need to have the corresponding .mp3 file for it?

2. If it is possible can I make any configuration in the smil file for the audio part?

3. In either case can you tell me how do I implement the same if I am using MPEG-DASH?

Hi,

I think one possibility is to use the Wowza Transcoder and enable an “audio only” encode by disabling the video codec Simply create a Transcoder template (for example copying the transrate.xml) and modify as needed. Thed following will produce an AAC output audio track.

[PHP]

true

audio

mp4:${SourceStreamName}_audio

[/PHP]

So when a stream comes in you can use the un-transcoded audio/video stream or append _audio to the stream name and it’ll just be the audio track (set Codec to AAC if it’s not that at source). There are other options but this one is quite flexible. You can reference the AV or audio only renditions in your smil file if needed.

Paul