Wowza Community

WOWZA CPU AT 80% or above always.

I am streaming live H.264 video from an IP Camera. Camera res is 1080p, FPS 10, Bit Rate Type, CBR, Bit Rate Per Second is 2500, I Frame Interval 2.

I am transcoding to default Transrate, using source, 720p, 360p, 240p, 160p.

With no users on the Wowza CPU is at 80% or above ALWAYS!.

I am set to Production Level, and all other setting are default. Just wondering how or what I can do to get this CPU usage down and keep my media quality good.

John

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

Please make sure you have the minimum recommended production hardware server specs.

CPU: Single Quad Core, 3.00 GHz or better

RAM: 4GB

Disk: 2 or more in RAID 0 (striping)

Network: 1Gb Ethernet

Also be sure to work through the tuning guide:

Performance Tuning

Additionally, you can reference the Transcoder benchmarks to compare:

Wowza Transcoder performance benchmark

Regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

The transcoding of live streams is a very CPU intensive process and this is done when the stream is published regardless of any playback clients connected. I recommend that you try reducing the bitrate of the source stream as a test to see how much this reduces the CPU usage. The higher the quality of the source stream the more CPU is required to decode the stream and the same applies to the encodes Wowza is creating.

If you believe something is incorrect, please open a ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com.

When creating a ticket, please include a ZIP file containing the following directories:

[Wowza-Install]/conf/

[Wowza-Install]/logs/

[Wowza-Install]/transcoder/

Please make sure you provide logs which show Wowza server starting.

If you are not sure how to get this information please see the following tutorial.

How to create a compressed zip file in Windows, OS X, and Linux

• As you have a live stream please outline the type of encoder in use along with the encoding settings for the stream.

• If you are using a .stream file to start re-streaming please provide this.

Regards,

Jason

I am running it on a Dell 1950 dual quad core, 16GB ram, 2TB drives raid 0, 1 GB network card. I have gone through the tuning guide.

John