Wowza Community

Ubuntu 15.04 install: Service fails to start with vague error message

Installed WSE on Ubuntu 15.04.

Installed with sudo ./WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.deb.bin

Installing Wowza Streaming Engine
(Reading database ... 235795 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.deb ...
Failed to stop WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service not loaded.
Failed to stop WowzaStreamingEngineManager.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngineManager.service not loaded.
	WowzaStreamingEngineManager: was not running.
rm: cannot remove ‘/var/lock/subsys/’: Is a directory
Unpacking wowzastreamingengine-4.1.2 (4.1.2-ga-1) over (4.1.2-ga-1) ...
Setting up wowzastreamingengine-4.1.2 (4.1.2-ga-1) ...
Start Wowza Streaming Engine automatically when this system reboots? [yes or no] 
yes
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `WowzaStreamingEngineManager' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6 S).
Starting WowzaStreamingEngine (via systemctl):
Failed to restart WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
Starting WowzaStreamingEngine (via systemctl):
Failed to restart WowzaStreamingEngineManager.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngineManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
Install Location:
/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine
To access Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, go to http://localhost:8088/enginemanager in a web browser.

Attempting to start with

sudo service WowzaStreamingEngine start

Failed to start WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

I’m unsure why I was seeing “restart” in the installation, as I had not previously installed WSE. Any clues as to what file or directory is missing, and how I might fix this issue?

Thanks

I checked all the static scripts and paths in /etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngine and all exist.

We have found that when installing Wowza on the current Ubuntu server release 15.04 the Wowza services fail as part of the installation and do not start up automatically. This appears to be related to the recent move by Ubuntu from upstart to systemd,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers

A short term workaround is to run the following command, which basically re-installs upstart:

apt-get install upstart-sysv

Then start the Wowza install process over.

Alternatively, you can still restart Wowza via:

/etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngine start
/etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngineManager start

To avoid reinstalling upstart

I hope this helps.

Salvadore

Hi,

Recent updates to Centos have caused issues with Wowza installations. This is due to their move to systemd. We aim to provide an updated installer soon to fix this but in the meantime we have documented this in our known issues article which also includes suggested workarounds.

Paul

Did you find a solution? I’m running into the same issue.

I get a similar failure as mentioned in the thread, but in Cent OS 7.

Installing

0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%

########################################Wowza Streaming Engine Setup - Warning: Problem running post-install step.

Installation may not complete correctly

Error running service WowzaStreamingEngine --full-restart: Failed to stop

WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service not loaded.

Failed to start WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service

failed to load: No such file or directory.

Press [Enter] to continue:

Setup has finished installing Wowza Streaming Engine on your computer.

Any suggestions?

Midhun

i upgraded to latest build and now im having this issue

[root@localhost linux]# /etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngine start

Reloading systemd: [ OK ]

Starting WowzaStreamingEngine (via systemctl): Failed to start WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

[FAILED]

[root@localhost linux]#

[root@localhost linux]# systemctl start WowzaStreamingEngine

Failed to start WowzaStreamingEngine.service: Unit WowzaStreamingEngine.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

[root@localhost linux]#

nothing is working i need a fix like ASAP im using centos latest version

WOW even a reinstall doesnt fix issue…

Thanks to centos and wowza tossing out a update they knew would break i have to reinstall an older linux and wowza… Awesome way to spend new years