Wowza Community

Protocol for Real Time Streaming from Android Device to Wowza Server?

Hi ,

My goal is to stream the audio/video content from Android mobile to Wowza Server.

1- As I understand, the protocol for the Wowza’s incoming and outgoing(broadcasted) streams can be different. True?

2- If that is so, then I can either upload my video data through HLS protocol or RTMP protocol.

3- I’m little bit familiar with these protocols after searching here and there, but I don’t have enough knowledge to make a decision which protocol will be best to stream recorded audio and video data to Wowza server in real time, so that it can be broadcasted and seen through browsers (since iOS and Android both support HLS protocol to play the stream).

It should be noted that the video will be recorded and streamed in real time, that means I will have to get the encoded buffer from MediaCodec and send it to the Wowza Server.

Again, if the point 1 above is true then it means my only concern should be to choose the best protocol for the Wowza’s inbound stream.

Any advice regarding Android OS versions, SDK vs. NDK etc. will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Please see your questions below followed by the answers:

1- As I understand, the protocol for the Wowza’s incoming and outgoing(broadcasted) streams can be different. True?

• Yes, Wowza can ingest with one protocol and repackage the stream for different protocols (transmuxing).

2- If that is so, then I can either upload my video data through HLS protocol or RTMP protocol.

• Yes, you can publish to Wowza via RTMP protocol. Currently Wowza does not support the ingest of video streams via HTTP.

3- I’m little bit familiar with these protocols after searching here and there, but I don’t have enough knowledge to make a decision which protocol will be best to stream recorded audio and video data to Wowza server in real time, so that it can be broadcasted and seen through browsers (since iOS and Android both support HLS protocol to play the stream).

• The most common protocol would be RMTP and another option would be RTSP.

Note we have an App called GoCoder which can be downloaded for Apple iOS and Android devices which is used to publish streams to Wowza. Please find more information in the articles below.

How to use Wowza GoCoder video broadcasting Android app

How to use Wowza GoCoder video broadcasting iOS app

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I’m glad I could help.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for your precise response. It cleared the fog to a great extent. :slight_smile:

Best,

Usman.