Wowza Community

HLS Streaming when ports 1935 and 80 are closed

Hi there,

I’m doing a live stream into a large bank, and there’s to be 40,000 connections.

For the purpose of streaming, I’m using wirecast with my output as rtmp

rtmp://12.34.567.89/live

stream is myStream

(as usual)

I am using an outside network to stream out. I am also using the transcoder add-on with ABR using 4 diff bitrates. The video is served up using jwplayer

Everything looks good on the naked network I use. But when trying to view the livestream on the bank’s network, I get the following:

“Cannot load M3U8:crossdomain access denied”

Is this a fault of jwplayer, or the wowza settings?

Here is the actual page - http://goo.gl/iLmxIO

Thanks to anyone who can help?

To add to this thread, I’ve been able to stream into this workplace, with jwplayer serving up a single RTMP streaming.

At that time, I had to use rtmp tunnelling to get into the bank’s network

The main problem I am having - how do I get HLS streaming to work in a place where ports 1935 and 80 are closed?

Thanks

Jason

This is what I am able to find about open ports at this location’s network

RTMP Port 1935 - yes

RTMP Port 80 - no

RTMP Port 443 - yes

RTMPT (all ports) - yes

It seems that I cannot get HLS streaming into this network. I wonder if there are some other ports I could try?

Going a bit further, it seems the bank’s network is blocking the HLS stream coming from Amazon EC2

For example - the HLS stream “http://54.159.212.131/live3/smil:myStream.smil/playlist.m3u8” is just plain blocked

The error message when trying to directly open that stream on the bank network is

“The Website you are attempting to access does not yet have a security classification. Access is temporarily restricted.”

I am going to guess there really is nothing I can do now, except get the bank to lift their security restrictions?

I did a real bizarre workaround, which worked.

I am using Wowza on EC2. For a long time, I was using Wowza Streaming Engine 4: Standard, paying $15/month and instance charges.

I have since upgraded to Wowza Streaming Egine 4: Bring Your Own Licence - paying $65/month and instance charges

I have been using the quick start AMI’s provided by BYOL and adding my licence key, and doing it this way, I was never able to get through the bank’s network.

BUT, when I used one of the quick start AMI’s provided by Streaming Engine 4: Standard, and adding my licence, I was able to get through the bank network.

I realize they are different AMI’s, but for this case, both had the exact same security settings attached to them.

Streaming Engine 4 - AMI (this one worked)

WowzaStreamingEngine-ebs-paid-standard-4.1.1-x86_64-433fbc8b-6e76-489b-8027-12fea483fb99-ami-74ec881c.2 (ami-1683e37e)

Description: WowzaStreamingEngine-ebs-paid-standard-4.1.1-x86_64

Security Group: Wowza Streaming Engine 4- Standard-4-1-1-AutogenByAWSMP-

Streaming Engine 4 - (BYOL) AMI - (this did not work)

WowzaStreamingEngine-ebs-byol-4.1.2-x86_64-5f03c7f6-de9b-43fe-a602-1c49f77d1a02-ami-806656e8.2 (ami-da437cb2)

Description: WowzaStreamingEngine-ebs-byol-4.1.2-x86_64

Security Group: Wowza Streaming Engine 4- Bring Your Own License-4-1-2-AutogenByAWSMP-

For some reason, that was the difference. The Streaming Engine 4: Standard AMI had the proper security keys built in to bypass the bank’s network, whereas the BYOL ami did not.

I was able to add my licence to the Standard AMI and enable the transcoder.

I wonder if there is something different between the two AMI settings that did this?

Hi,

There really shouldn’t be such a difference in the AMIs.

The only real requirements are:

1. Enabling the streaming port 80 under Server->Vhost Setup->Host Ports

2. Enabling TCP port 80 in your EC2 Security Group.

Daren

Hi,

This is now being handled in ticket #131213.

Daren