Wowza Community

CEA-608 Captions not surviving transcoding

Hello,

I have two Wowza systems working in tandem, the first is creating a Stream which runs a Playlist and injects captions via onTextData calls. The resulting stream is pushed to the second Wowza instance which transcodes the stream for HLS delivery.

On the transcoding system, I have enabled the ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608 module and configured it to add the captions to each transcode result by setting closedCaptionLiveEnableTranscoderResults = true.

When the debugging is turned on (closedCaptionLiveLogOnTextDataEvents=true) I can see that the module IS detecting the incoming text data events and is attempting to send them through the transcoded streams:

2015-07-14	21:13:25	UTC	comment	server	INFO	200	-	ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608#OnTextDataHandler.onCallback[live/_definst_/999]: ccTextBlock:♪ PUT YOUR HANDS UP MAKE 'EM TOUCH ♪
2015-07-14	21:13:26	UTC	comment	server	INFO	200	-	ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608#OnTextDataHandler.onCallback[live/_definst_/999_160p]: ccTextBlock:♪ PUT YOUR HANDS UP MAKE 'EM TOUCH ♪
2015-07-14	21:13:26	UTC	comment	server	INFO	200	-	ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608#OnTextDataHandler.onCallback[live/_definst_/999_source]: ccTextBlock:♪ PUT YOUR HANDS UP MAKE 'EM TOUCH ♪

However, when playing back the resulting streams, the captions do not exist. The captions DO exist when I play back the “999” stream, but neither “999_160p” nor “999_source” contain any caption data.

Can you provide any advice on how to address this?

The pertinent parts of the Application.xml are below:

<Module>
  <Name>ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608</Name>
  <Description>ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608</Description>
  <Class>com.wowza.wms.timedtext.live.module.ModuleOnTextDataToCEA608</Class>
</Module>
<Properties>
			<Property>
				<Name>closedCaptionLiveCharacterSet</Name>
				<Value>UTF-8</Value>
			</Property>
			<Property>
				<Name>closedCaptionLiveLogOnTextDataEvents</Name>
				<Value>true</Value>
				<Type>Boolean</Type>
			</Property>
			<Property>
				<Name>closedCaptionLiveEnableTranscoderResults</Name>
				<Value>true</Value>
				<Type>Boolean</Type>
			</Property>
</Properties>

Thank you

::bump::

What version of WSE are you using?

Scott

::bump::

Hello,

Sweeping through the forums and tying this forum post to the support request: 135735

If you experience this issue, please refer to the support request above or include this forum post in your new support request.

Regards,

Mac

Mac, I have a ticket open 256517, with this exact issue, could you assist please? Thank you!