Wowza Community

Difference between stop and destroy in access logs - live stream playlist issue

What is the difference between “stop” and “destroy” in the access logs?

We had an event failure today. The way we use Wowza is we create a “master” stream using a server-side module based on this https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-control-stream-class-streams-dynamically-modulestreamcontrol and manually switch streams on the server from a client-side GUI by creating playlists and playing them on the master stream.

The master stream got into a “stuck” state 4 minutes into the live event. We could not switch any playlists onto it and thus, viewers could not stream. The only solution to work around it, which was too late, was to take an encoder, send a short live stream signal to the “master” stream and stop it to destroy it, then create the master stream again programmatically through the server-side module. After I did this, I could again switch sources.

I checked the logs to see what happened and I see a single “stop” record in the logs right before the master stream got stuck. So please tell me, what is the difference between “stop” and “destroy?”

Thanks.

Hi myboynoy,

A stop event should indicate that the session ended, while a destroy event should indicate that the stream was shut down and made null. In a playback session, for example, when a user presses stop, Wowza would initiate a stop event (to record the stream status) followed by a destroy event (to record that the stream is now null).

Hope this cleared it up for you.

Michelle