Wowza Community

Can't get captions using .srt file

The video plays fine, but I cannot get captions to work. The file is vidtest.mp4 and the caption file is vidtest.srt.

I updated the VOD Caption providers to say

vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp,vodcaptionproviderttml,vodcaptionproviderwebvtt, vodcaptionprovidersrt, vodcaptionproviderscc

Here is the page code

RTSP Link

For the VOD application under Closed Caption Sources I heave all sources checked.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi,

I just did a quick test using the default “vod” application, our provided sample.mp4 as source video, and an srt file called sample.srt - using example caption content taken from our example here.

I then created a simple JWPlayer page, the meat of which was

[php]

[/php]

My block was as follows

<TimedText>
     <VODTimedTextProviders>vodcaptionprovidersrt</VODTimedTextProviders>
     <Properties>
     </Properties>
</TimedText>

I opened the web page on a Windows machine / Chrome browser and it showed closed captions correctly. Ensure you select the [cc] button to show text.

So I’d suggest just following this example and testing that it works. If it does not then something clearly is not right somewhere. You could try enabling the following debug properties and checking the [install-path]/logs/wowzastreamingengine_access.log to see if anything is being reported. If that doesn’t help then consider raising it as a ticket via our standard support process. Please also include a link to this forum thread if so.

Paul

Hi,

You can create a text file called sample.srt and place it in your content folder where the sample.mp4 file is. I used the following contents just to test it

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:3,000
SRT (0)
00:00:05 --> 00:00:08.000
English (5)
00:00:10,000 --> 00:00:15,
SRT (10)
00:00:20,000 --> 00:00:24,400
Text at 20 seconds

There shouldn’t be any need to use any other JW plugins, though I would make sure you’re using an up to date JWPlayer.

Paul

I replaced the code using your sample and also trimmed down the VODTimedTextProviders to just srt. The sample does not play captions and there is now on/off button for CC. My sample.mp4 did not come with a sample.srt. Where do I get a copy of the srt file or do I make it manually?

The sample given in the forums http://www.wowza.com/html/caption.html uses a stream and utilizes a plugins parameter which from what I read is no longer needed. Is there a link to see the sample.mp4 that is not a stream?

Hi,

I just did a quick test using the default “vod” application, our provided sample.mp4 as source video, and an srt file called sample.srt - using example caption content taken from our example here.

I then created a simple JWPlayer page, the meat of which was

[php]

[/php]

My block was as follows

<TimedText>
     <VODTimedTextProviders>vodcaptionprovidersrt</VODTimedTextProviders>
     <Properties>
     </Properties>
</TimedText>

I opened the web page on a Windows machine / Chrome browser and it showed closed captions correctly. Ensure you select the [cc] button to show text.

So I’d suggest just following this example and testing that it works. If it does not then something clearly is not right somewhere. You could try enabling the following debug properties and checking the [install-path]/logs/wowzastreamingengine_access.log to see if anything is being reported. If that doesn’t help then consider raising it as a ticket via our standard support process. Please also include a link to this forum thread if so.

Paul