Wowza Community

Frame accurate seekingin Wowza 4

I can’t get Wowza 4 to perform frame-accurate seek during RTMP streaming. We had the same issue in Wowza 3.6 and solved it by adding the following properties:

seekTarget

enhanced

mp4OnSeekUseVideoTimecode

true

Boolean

calculateMoreAccurateFrameSize

true

Boolean

But it seems that in Wowza 4 these settings do not work anymore. Should I use another settings to enable accurate seeking in Wowza 4?

Did you make sure you re-loaded the application after making the change?

Salvadore

Hi,

This will now be handled in the created ticket (138733).

Regards,

Jason

Is there any update on this?

Or how to access this ticket?

Hi salvadore,

I am having exactly the same issue.

seekTarget

enhanced

Still rtmp seek jumps to the nearest frame instead of accurate seek to the requested offset. I am using wowza 4.2.0.

I am using custom rtmp player by calling netstream.seek and using flv video with h264 codec.

Is this feature does not work anymore in wowza4? (i havent tried it with wowza 3).

What is the best way to debug this setting on server side inside app?

Hi,

can you please share Application.xml (with correct properties) which you used for testing?

Thanks.

Hi,

So indeed “enhanced” seeks mode works , however it does not perfectly seeks to the target location: there is 25-50ms difference (based on netstream.time property after doing seek).

default seek mode (requested milliseconds->actual after seek is done)

1000->799

1100->799

1200->1598

1300->1598

enhanced

1000->1027

1100->1054

1200->1183

1300->1300

1400->1375

1500->1457

1600->1598

1700->1700

1800->1749

I can see that correct offset arrives to IMediaStreamActionNotify.onSeek listener, however netstream.time returns not accurate offset after seek is done(25-50ms difference).

Is it expected behaviour? Is it possible to do exact milliseconds seek?

Thanks!

This property should be all you need.

Are you testing with the Wowza supplied RTMP example player? This feature is only support with RTMP players. If you have written your own player it may be an issue with the code.

Regards,

Salvadore

Werdex, can you please provide more information about what you are having an issue with?

Perhaps start a new thread with detail description of what you have set up and what issue you are facing.

Regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

Regarding the original issue, the customer was updated via our ticketing process. Our engineers were not able to replicate the issue and have confirmed that advanced seeking does still work correctly in version 4, so long as the properties are added correctly to the “vod” application that is being used for testing.

Regards,

Paul

Did you make sure you re-loaded the application after making the change?

Salvadore

Yes, I did. I can see the an entry in the access log for every frame seek I do in the Video player, but the image is still updated only every 5 to 10 frames (key frames maybe?).

Do I need to specify additional properties to make it fully working?

Indeed we are using our custom flash video player but it works fine with Wowza 3.

I can’t test it with built-in wowza player because it does not expose frame seeking controls.