We are working on some service that will allow our users to put up a stream from IP camera on the internet.
Now from wowza server side we will need to manage those streams in some organised way.
Currently we are considering 2 ways of doing it:
1. We will have few different applications preconfigured on server, and we will connect user stream to selected applications (depends on needs, for example 1 origin app and multiple edge apps)
+ easy for manage
+ can have our own application architecture and extend it to multiple servers, do migrations etc
- hard to track single user/stream usage
- no separation between users
2. We will create an different application for every user, and will configure it with his needs in mind
+ have very nice metrics built in wowza
+ application per user means we can set it exacly like user wants
+ separation betwen users
- harder to manage
- can be like 100 or applications running on 1 server (some users will have 1 stream only)
- harder to extend to multiple servers
So those are pluses and minuses we figured out (we might be wrong with some tho).
And there are some questions:
Will wowza be able to effectively handle high amount of applications per server ?
Is there any good addon for metrics like preferably per stream bandwidth and resource usage ?
What are so called good practises for that kind of service ?
I would appreciate any feedback and help for this topic.