Wowza Community

Encoding and sending keyframe over RTP causes blank/refresh

I am sending H264 over RTP, using my own code (encoder). I am sending the key frame every 2 seconds (complete access unit composed of SPS/PPS/IDR-slices, etc.).

I am using VLC to play the stream out of Wowza but note the same behavior using the Wowza web players: just about every 2 seconds I am seeing the screen partially go black and then resync itself. I also get a significant amount of pixelation during this time.

Is there something that I should be aware of that would cause the key frame to do this?

The only way I can get video out of the Wowza test players or VLC is if I send the entire keyframe to Wowza ever 2 seconds.

Instead, the keyframe should be sent once, before the rest of the video packets. When I do this and sent only once to Wowza, I never see any video in the players.

My question is, how does Wowza handle sending the keyframe to players when they connect? I see that VLC connects to Wowza using RTSP to negotiate the session. My problem seems like Wowza never sends the keyframe to these players. Can you give any insight as to how this works?