Wowza Community

Transcode streams by using a liverepeater-edge configuration

I want to transcode streams by using a liverepeater-edge configuration. Pick a stream that the liverepeated-edge has incoming and transcode it back to our origin servers. I see it tries to do that by publishing 360p, all, etc to the originating origin server but that is no good. I use stream key authentication on the origin servers. Making a stream key for each transcoded stream isn’t a problem but how do I tell the transcoder to use a certain stream key in the above trancoder module example?

Thanks for your help!

Note: Originally asked via Reply in another thread. Decided this needed its own thread.

Hello,

A “liverepeater-edge” application does not have the Transcoder feature enabled. In order for the transcoder to start, the stream need to be published on that application. The “liverepeater-edge” stream type application is only repeating the stream from the origin source, whenever that stream is being requested by a playback client.

You should publish your stream on the origin application, transcode it through that application and use the liverepeater-edge application to repeat and deliver that stream (transcoded stream as well) to the playback client.

Zoran

I have hardware dedicated to transcoding and hardware dedicated to origin servers. The hardware on the origin servers is not capable of transcoding which is why I want to transcode using a repeater edge configuration. This doesn’t seem like too much to ask of the wowza engine.

Hi,

You would need to manually enable the edge application, outside of the Manager, as this isn’t a commonly used configuration.

This article, How to use the Wowza Transcoder on a Liverepeater edge, does briefly describe how to do this.

Daren