Wowza Community

Connection Counts Using Cloudfront

Hi

I have a wowza/cloudfront setup using Cloudformation. I didn’t expect wowza-address:8086/connectioncounts to work as there would only be the one connection to the server for cloudfront but it seems to, should it?

I can see in the browser console that all chunks downloaded using the m3u8 file are on cloudfront and not direct form the server, any research Ive done on the web says it doesn’t so I’m a bit baffled.

Thanks

Matt

Hello,

Yes, that is correct. For a particular stream, you should only see one client connection on your Wowza Streaming Engine server. AWS Cloudfront will request the live(or vod) stream from the Wowza server, will cache locally the .m3u8 descriptor files and the .ts media chunks and will deliver them to playback clients requesting that particular stream from one of the Cloudfront edge servers.

You should be able to find the usage statistics in the Cloudfront reports, as Wowza Streaming Engine will report only one connection for each stream (the one from Cloudfront).

Zoran

Hi,

I’ve a wowza/cloudfront too. I open 4 players with HLS streaming and show me 5 connections as if I access wowza directly.

I can see in the browser console that all chunks downloaded using cloudfront but still it seems to me that it is directly accessing wowza and using the cloudfront as a mere redirector.

Connections Per Protocol Incoming and outgoingTotal:****5Adobe HDS:Adobe RTMP:Apple HLS:Microsoft Smooth:MPEG DASH:RTSP/RTP:

RTMP
20% HLS
80%#### Application Uptime

cloudfront up since 31 Oct 2018 03:21:43 PM

cloudfront up for about a day

Network Throughput

Bytes In: 6602538168 @ 534.950 Kbits/s

Bytes Out: 1445688401 @ 1.090 Mbits/s