Wowza Community

Play on-hold stream for a specific user and then switch them to another stream

When a user connects it hits resolvePlayAlias where MediaCasterStream is started and a Stream instance is set up for the very first listener. For all subsequent listeners a new media caster stream does not have to be started as long as it is the same stream name, but what if I want to play to some specific users a on-hold stream, for let’s say a couple of seconds before switching them to the actual stream. Is that possible?

Changing the current stream would, and correct me if I am wrong, change the stream for every listener. So how could I achieve something like that? I am aware that I could return a different stream in resolveStreamAlias, but how do I switch that user/listener then back?

Konrad

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

Take a look at these Stream Class examples for use as a starting place for your needs:

How to switch streams using Stream class streams

How to do basic server-side publishing with Stream class streams

How to control Stream class streams dynamically (ModuleStreamControl)

Regards,

Salvadore

Hello salvadore,

thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have worked through the linked guides. I think what I am looking for is something like a pre-roll stream, which will be played uniquely for a new listener. I have read contradicting statements so far, a) that something like that is not implemented yet on Wowza and b) tutorials like these here, were I am not certain if that’s what I want: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-insert-a-pre-roll-or-mid-roll-for-video-on-demand-playback-in-flash-rtmp-client Is a VHost required?