Wowza Community

Wowza Streaming Engine 4.2 and ubuntu 15.04 with Systemd

Hi everybody,

I’m currently using Wowza with ubuntu 15.04 wich use the new service startup system (systemd) and i can’t have wowza to start automaticaly.

I have seen this post (Ubuntu 15.04 install: Service fails to start with vague error message) and the workaround but i would like to know if Wowza is planning to support systemd?

alternatively is there a way to configure systemd to start wowza?

Best regards

Richard

Hi,

We are planning to support systemd, but there is not timeframe for availability.

Best regards,

Daren

Hi

There are some workarounds.

1/ you can manually start Wowza by running the following as root

/etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngine start

/etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngineManager start

2/ Alternatively, you can reinstall the missing upstart functionality

apt-get install upstart-sysv

The second option would ensure that Wowza is restarted on machine reboots.

1. A third option would be to try implementing the systemd service. This forum thread/post seems to have something that was reported as working.

Daren

Hi,

We are planning to support systemd, but there is not timeframe for availability.

Best regards,

Daren

Thank you for your answer,

Is there any temporary workaround available? I tried to build a custom .service file but without success.

Best regards

Richard

Hi

There are some workarounds.

1/ you can manually start Wowza by running the following as root

/etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngine start

/etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngineManager start

2/ Alternatively, you can reinstall the missing upstart functionality

apt-get install upstart-sysv

The second option would ensure that Wowza is restarted on machine reboots.

1. A third option would be to try implementing the systemd service. This forum thread/post seems to have something that was reported as working.

Daren

1. Is the solution i currently use… but it is not very safe in production situation.

2. I tried this but the rollback to upstart give me some weirf behavior of my web server…

3. I just tried this solution and i receive the following error message when trying to activate the service :

administrateur@zircone:/etc/init.d$ sudo systemctl enable WowzaStreamingEngine.service 
Synchronizing state for WowzaStreamingEngine.service with sysvinit using update-rc.d...
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d WowzaStreamingEngine defaults
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `WowzaStreamingEngine' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6 S).
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d WowzaStreamingEngine enable
update-rc.d: error: WowzaStreamingEngine Default-Start contains no runlevels, aborting.

It’s ok it works.

I just forgot :

removed symlink /etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngine
removed symlink /etc/init.d/WowzaStreamingEngineManager

Best regards

Richard

Thanks for the update and glad you got this sorted.

Salvadore