Wowza Community

Large videos not streaming using AWS and Wowza

We have 2 sets of videos on t1.micro Amazon EC2 instance. We stream these using Wowza streaming engine. However, we are having a problem that the larger videos are not playing. the larger videos are 18-55MB and the smaller videos are all less than 10MB.

Do you know why they are not playing? Our previous Godaddy server was able to play these with Wowza so I’m assuming its a AWS issue.

Thanks,

Hello,

If you look at your [install-dir]/logs/wowzastreamingengine_access.log & wowzastreamingengine_error.log files do you see any ERROR messages when trying to play these files? It could be the instance type used. The T1/T2 instances are best suited for bursty CPU utilization. You may want to try on a m3.medium or larger instance type and see if you have the same issue.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi,

You can use FFMPEG to convert your video files.

Please see the “Frequently requested FFMPEG command examples for Wowza” form post for some FFMPEG examples.

Zoran

Hi Don, Sorenson Spark video is not supported on any devices other then Flash. You will need to set the encoder to use h.264 video instead.

Flash 11+ offers encoding to h.264 video.

Regards,

Salvadore

Hello,

If you look at your [install-dir]/logs/wowzastreamingengine_access.log & wowzastreamingengine_error.log files do you see any ERROR messages when trying to play these files? It could be the instance type used. The T1/T2 instances are best suited for bursty CPU utilization. You may want to try on a m3.medium or larger instance type and see if you have the same issue.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your advice.

I’ve upgraded the server to a medium instance but still no luck. I have also checked the error log. One thing I notice is that before the stream for the large videos disconnects we get this comment:

LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/definst/xxxx]: Video codec:SPARK isCompatible:false

MediaStreamMap.removeLiveStreamPacketizer[live/definst/xxxx]: Destroy live stream packetizer: sanjosestreamingpacketizer

Do you know what they mean?

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don, Sorenson Spark video is not supported on any devices other then Flash. You will need to set the encoder to use h.264 video instead.

Flash 11+ offers encoding to h.264 video.

Regards,

Salvadore

Hi Salvadore,

Thanks for the advice. How do I change this? Is there a way in which I can just convert the videos?

Thanks,

Don