Wowza Community

Streaming without transcoder

Hello,

is it possible to use Wowza Streaming Cloud without transcoder as an delivery only plattform and paying only traffic?

Regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

yes that is possible. we expose the rtmp ingest and playback URLs for HLS and HDS directly from the cdn.

However we do not have tutorials for this available yet.

Would you use wowza to ingest to the CDN or a 3rd party encoder?

Thanks Philipp

Hei Phillipp,

sorry for my late response.

Iam not sure if we mean the same…

But I received an email today where Wowza announced passtrogh streaming, which is what I actually asked for. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Andreas

Edit:

Maybe you can explain how to create a passtrough stream on Wowza Streaming Cloud?

I cannot find an option for that in the New Livestream Assistant.

Thanks, it worked.

When it is incorporated into the wizard ?

Regards,

Andreas.

Thank you.

But I only get this option when I click Wowza Streaming Engine as source.

And if I want to have a single bitrate stream which should not be transcoded to multiple renditions from a RTMP-Source, the workflow doesn’t give me this option.

Regards,

Andreas.

Hi Andreas,

yes that is possible. we expose the rtmp ingest and playback URLs for HLS and HDS directly from the cdn.

However we do not have tutorials for this available yet.

Would you use wowza to ingest to the CDN or a 3rd party encoder?

Thanks Philipp

Hi,

passthroughs are not yet part of the livestream workflow only the advanced mode. (they will soon!)

You can still point it to your livestream channel it just a little more complicated to get there.

After setting up a normal livestream you would do these steps to point a passthrough to it.

1. go to advanced transcoders and add a new transcoder

2. with- What type of transcoder is this?

choose Passthrough

1. continue setting up your desired source connection option

2. in the next step you have to add the targets(where we send the stream to)

select - choose assign an existing stream target, (use the stream target with the name of your livestream channel)

1. start the passthrough (not the livestream!)

2. go to the livestream´s player page to watch your passthrough stream

If you follow these steps the processing costs will be much lower than with the transcoder resources involved.

Find pricing infos here: http://www.wowza.com/pricing/streaming-cloud/passthrough

Thanks Philipp

And if I want to have a single bitrate stream which should not be transcoded to multiple renditions from a RTMP-Source, the workflow doesn’t give me this option.

This is a new product called passthrough. You can set this for a advanced transcoder

Thanks Philipp

Hello,

This has now been incorporated into the Live Stream setup wizard. When going through the setup wizard, you will be asked “What type of stream will you deliver to Wowza Streaming Cloud?”. If you select “Multi-bitrate stream”, this will bypass the transcoding process in Wowza Cloud.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hello,

You can stream only a single-stream into the multi-bitrate stream option to bypass transcoding but as you mentioned, this is only an option when using Wowza Streaming Engine as the source.

Best regards,

Andrew