Wowza Community

Allow RTMP only on unique/valid stream name

Hello,

I need a workaround of allowing RTMP streaming to valid stream names only, for a public streaming platform (twitch/youtube)

Basically right now:

1. You need to use user:password authentication, even so, they are global user:password which can be used for any stream name. Even if we create a unique user/pass for our users, they can still stream to other people’s stream or use any other stream name as well to stream

2. Can allow public RTMP streaming. However, it will still let users stream to whatever stream name they want, instead of a stream name unique to them.

We want to do it something like Twitch/Youtube live, each user will have a stream name specific to him to which we can stream to, it will be unique to him and our frontend player/channel will play his stream using that name.

One solution to this was, let everyone but we just keep a database of the unique names we created for our user, and use that name in the player to show their stream (aka their channel will still only show their own stream)

But there is a big problem to this, allowing them to stream to any other stream name will still eat our server resources, use DVR/Transcode features and will cause a mess.

So how can we achieve it this way, that the server/wowza only allows connections to the stream names we create or have in database i.e. connection to specific stream names

Or rather, how can we create a public streaming platform with multiple users having unique streams

Hello,

Depending on how many users you have, you could look into creating a separate Application for each user and utilizing the ModuleSecureURLParams to assign unique credentials to each application.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi,
Did you find a better way to achieve what you wanted ?
On my side I tried ModuleSecureURLParams, it works but it doesn’t reply to all questions.
Why wowza don’t use this module on stream name/key instead of rtmp url ? in most streaming platform today the “secret” is not in rtmp url but in the key.

Right now with this module, I’m able to put a secret in rtmp url but my users still can put stream name they want. I would like to fix stream name possibility (on my side only “mystream” and “mystreamhd”). I know there is a module to blacklist names but I need more a module to whitelist them.
I’m agree with you Shubhank_Gaur, because of transcoding/dvr… on my side I can create one transcoding profile per stream name by example…

Si is it something planned in wse or what are possibilities to get all these things ?
Thanks

please see my answer above
any idea ?
thanks

Let me ask for you, Andrew Ramberg no longer monitors this forum space, so that’s why he didn’t respond to you, this post is 7 years old.

But I’ll see what I can find out for you.

We don’t currently have a module for this @Nicolas_Vanhaute, but we tech support suggests this workaround from a similar forum post:

If that for some reason, that doesn’t help you out, just know that it should be doable with a custom module or we can help create a module for them if you’re interested in a ProServ Engagement.