Wowza Community

Wowza runs fine for some hours then RAM keeps increasing for few hours then out ofmem

There are not much outgoing load. Wowza mostly receives several published incoming streams.

Wowza runs fine for many hours without RAM increasing (stay still around 3%) then after some hours, RAM keeps increasing gradually for few hours then RAM reached the MAX allowed, then after some time there is Out of HEAP mem in the log. Wowza idle now.

Increasing HEAP is not a solution because I already gave 4000. The problem is that why Wowza ran fine for some hours (RAM stays still) then after some hours, RAM increased gradually until the point it reaches the HEAP MAX allowed and then for some time it eventually leads to out of heap memory in the log.

There is almost no outgoing load here, only several incoming published streams.

Do you know what config should I make to avoid this out of memory in the log after some time (should not increase, I already set 4000 and almost no load here)?

Hi,

I recommend creating a ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com

When creating a ticket, please include a ZIP file containing the following directories for analysis:

[Wowza-Install]/conf/

[Wowza-Install]/logs/

[Wowza-Install]/transcoder/

Please make sure you provide logs which show Wowza server starting.

If you are not sure how to get this information please see the following tutorial.

How to create a compressed zip file in Windows, OS X, and Linux

If you have many published streams, you can reduce the memory consumption by removing the HTTP based clients from the configuration which are not required. For example if you’re not providing an MPEG-DASH player, you won’t need to have MPEG-DASH as a playback option in the application. By enabling MPEG-DASH the streams which are published will be packetized for this playback client and the chunks are held in memory. This applies to all the HTTP based clients so any that are enabled but not used, I recommend removing and then restarting the application so the changes take effect.

For the remaining HTTP based clients, please see the following articles on how to edit the packetization which can reduce the memory consumption.

How to configure Adobe HDS packetization (sanjosestreaming)

How to configure Apple HLS packetization (cupertinostreaming)

How to configure Microsoft Smooth Streaming packetization (smoothstreaming)

How to configure MPEG-DASH packetization (mpegdashstreaming)

Regards,

Jason

Wowza Team,

I have near same effect which i narrowed down to this situation:

• RTSP input

• audionly transcoder from G711 to AAC on Wowza

• RTMP and HLS output.

And this is what happens. It works fine as long as RTSP input is good quality and works. As the input (cam is over LTE and moving in a car) drops down and goes offline for some time, wowza will disconnect RTSP and try to reconnect over and over again. Which is okay forme.

But if this will happen for a longer period of time (lost connection and continous tries to reconnect) Wowza will get hang with OutOfMemory Exception.

It wont happen if i disable audio transcoder on this setup.

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know about this. What version of Wowza Streaming Engine are you running? What are your system specs (OS,CPU,Memory,GPU)?

Best,

JasonT