Wowza Community

Set up for covering 99% of platforms for VOD

Hello dear Wowza users,

We are looking to support our VOD system to cover as much platforms as possible.

So far we have been setting up :

MPEG DASH as primary

HLS as secondary

Is there something for people without Flash? I know that it is possible to just put up the complete MP4 but can we somehow get streaming instead of progressive download?

Also, but this might be html related, for some reason when adding multiple sources to your playlist in the html file MPEG dash doesn’t seem to work anymore.

I would love to hear some input from you guys about how you would set this up. We are also including closed captions in mostly WEBVTT format, but I have already seen that this certainly doesn’t cover all the platforms.

I am using JW Player.

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

Do you mean something for people with or without Flash, as your current streams appear to target devices that do not have Flash. The usual setup with JWPlayer, including fallback streams for Flash (and optionally RTSP for older devices) if HLS fails can be located here. This doesn’t yet have examples for MPEG-DASH, which is new in JWPlayer 7.

Paul

Hi,

Support for captions in the Wowza MPEG-DASH implementation isn’t quite ready yet, but it is coming. Captions should be working correctly in HLS though. How exactly are you injecting these captions?

Vod captioning support is outlined here.

You will still need multiple renditions of your MP4 files to target multiple bandwidths.

Daren

Hi,

What exactly do you mean by “whenever multiple sources are selected” ?

Additionally, as far as I know, the RTSP and f4m types are not supported in the source file list.

Daren

Hi,

I would advise checking with the JW Player folks to see if that is even possible at this point.

Daren

Any news on this? I’m trying to achieve the exact same. I also would like to have just a couple of different quality files (1080p, 720p, 480p, 360p, 240p, 144p) from one source

I try to avoid any other formats like webm.

Whatever sources i use, i get it to run, here and there but it never work under all circumstances somehow. DASH makes also problems.

With the latest JWPlayer i experienced problems with DASH and i only got it to run when i disabled flash in chrome. I got it to work but when i try to seek the movie just never continue.

The bitdash player was able to seek. the speed was not that fast, but it worked. Btw anybody know how to improve seek speed?

Any good guides what exact settings i would need for those mp4’s suitable for 99% of all devices and working with DASH and HLS and whatever else i need for “all devices”

Maybe you can recommend a different Player ?

thx for your help

Hi John,

Do you mean something for people with or without Flash, as your current streams appear to target devices that do not have Flash. The usual setup with JWPlayer, including fallback streams for Flash (and optionally RTSP for older devices) if HLS fails can be located here. This doesn’t yet have examples for MPEG-DASH, which is new in JWPlayer 7.

Paul

Thanks Paul for your reply,

Well, It’s just that I am looking for a suitable solution for people without flash to get the video as well, preferably streaming in chunks. I know some players do this and I was wondering if this was possible with JW Player.

Today I tried out Bitdash player and this seems to work together with Wowza very well, their set up of the player is very simple. I do have some issues with the captions as they needed to be injected into for example the MPD or the M3U8, however I thought Wowza would pick them up automaticly. Must do something wrong there.

I’m just still wondering how to deliver to everyone, from just 1 MP4 file, which would be the most ideal situation. Right now we encode our own video’s into several formats but it is taking massive data to keep everything on the server and encoding by hand.

Best regards,

John

For JWPLAYER, here is how our set-up looks like.

Now the main problem is that whenever multiple sources are selected, MPEGDASH is completely ignored.

[HTML][/HTML]

Hi Daren and thanks for your tips.

When working without the ‘sources’ option, and adding just Dash as a file source, it works. But when you add the ‘sources’ attribute to the html as seen in my example, it seems Dash is not called anywhere anymore. It will fallback to HLS no matter what.

Best regards

Hi,

I would advise checking with the JW Player folks to see if that is even possible at this point.

Daren

Alright Daren, thanks for all your support so far! Much obliged.

Best regards,

John

Any news on this? I’m trying to achieve the exact same. I also would like to have just a couple of different quality files (1080p, 720p, 480p, 360p, 240p, 144p) from one source

I try to avoid any other formats like webm.

Whatever sources i use, i get it to run, here and there but it never work under all circumstances somehow. DASH makes also problems.

With the latest JWPlayer i experienced problems with DASH and i only got it to run when i disabled flash in chrome. I got it to work but when i try to seek the movie just never continue.

The bitdash player was able to seek. the speed was not that fast, but it worked. Btw anybody know how to improve seek speed?

Any good guides what exact settings i would need for those mp4’s suitable for 99% of all devices and working with DASH and HLS and whatever else i need for “all devices”

Maybe you can recommend a different Player ?

thx for your help

Hi Tommytom,

Actually, yes. We switched to a trial of Theoplayer and this is a HLS 100% based player. It works on ALL devices without ANY plugin. It really does what it promises and we are very happy with it so far.

You can get a free trial and they have great personal support. They are partners with Wowza so the 2 programs work together without any problems.