Wowza Community

Livecam website integration , how ?

Hello everybody,

im a beginner in streaming world and reading the docs i get completly lost because of the vocabulary. I try to find the answer to the following question :

I would like to set up an app for educational purpose, the main idea is to have a liveroom with 2 users streaming webcam and microphone at the same time, and a live chat in this room.

First question, i dont get the difference between a streaming engine and a media server, which one do i need ?

Then, what i’ve understood from that is i need 2 servers : the python django and the wowza server.

The problem is that in wowza tutorials, i haven’t found how to integrate the html div in my website, i mean the HTTP server and the wowza server are packed together, do you know where can which code and ressources should i have to integrate in my html page to :

• start the stream from the website then send it to ip/port wowza media server ?

• get the stream from ip/port wowza server and deliver to my http server.

Other question, I’ve heard people talking about tornado, but i dont get the purpose of using this, isnt my django server already supporting asynchronous connections ?

Hope you could help me, i’m completly lost and cannot have a view of the complete architecture of my needs.

Thanks a lot.

Hi bidoux27, and welcome to Wowza streaming!

First question, i dont get the difference between a streaming engine and a media server, which one do i need ?

Wowza version 4 is referred to as Wowza Streaming Engine, while earlier versions are referred to as Media Server. The difference in name is due to the increased functionality in the new version. I would definitely recommend that you start out with the latest version.

The problem is that in wowza tutorials, i haven’t found how to integrate the html div in my website, i mean the HTTP server and the wowza server are packed together, do you know where can which code and ressources should i have to integrate in my html page to :

• start the stream from the website then send it to ip/port wowza media server ?

• get the stream from ip/port wowza server and deliver to my http server.

It sounds like the streaming workflow you are looking for is a VideoChat solution. We do have an example HTML application that you can use out-of-the-box that comes installed with your Wowza server, and you would only need to host the HTML files on your web server. You can initiate the stream from the HTML page (for example, by publishing as stream name “myStream”), and receive the stream on the other end by playing back the stream “myStream”.

Other question, I’ve heard people talking about tornado, but i dont get the purpose of using this, isnt my django server already supporting asynchronous connections ?

It depends on your project requirements. Tornado is not a complete replacement for Django. If all you need is a web server component that can serve up your HTML pages to start and playback your streams, then you can probably make do with using your already existing Django infrastructure.

Michelle