Wowza Community

live streaming to android

I’m having a problem with playing a live stream to android devices. When I look at the help page here (https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-troubleshoot-rtsp-rtp-playback) it looks like it mostly is talking about vod playback, which it working fine for me.

My jwplayer call looks like this:

Streaming Link for Android

This works fine for a recorded file. So I try to just change the rtsp call to say:

Streaming Link for Android

and I get the No Playable Sources error.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the live streaming to work?

It looks like the problem might be with the Video Player, perhaps it’s not able to play live streams? Does anyone know if this might be so, and what I may need to install to make sure a live stream will play?

Hi,

JW Player is able to play back the live stream coming from the Wowza server. Can you confirm that you are publishing a live stream on your Wowza application called “live” and using the stream name “SkyTubeLive”?

Did you also change the RTMP and HTTP playback URLs to “rtmp://52.20.68.152:1935/live/SkyTubeLive” and “http://52.20.68.152:1935/live/SkyTubeLive/playlist.m3u8

In the “How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder” forum article you have some useful instructions on how to publish a live stream to a Wowza Streaming Engine server using an RTMP based encoder.

What encoder are you using to publish your live stream?

Zoran

Hi,

You will need to make sure you are using the right streaming protocol for any particular device. Some devices support one streaming protocol while not supporting another. For example, some Andorid devices support only RTSP, while other support Apple HLS. Also iOS device only support Apple HLS streams and you won;t be able to play back RTMP or RTSP streams using the native iOS player.

Zoran

I know my stream is ok, I can watch it just fine on my pc. For my tests I’m using Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2, though we also have a custom made encoder that we’ll be using for our real production. I kind of think the problem is that my phone doesn’t have the right app/plugin to play the live stream, rather than this being a wowza-specific problem, but I’m not 100% sure.

I have found that adding the file extension critical my URL looks like this: Streaming Link for Android

Works great but I am struggling with a “No Audio” issue at the moment.