Wowza Community

Can we live encode a webcam from a webpage, without installing an application?

Hi,

I’m pretty new to the streaming world, but I read a lot, did many research. We’ve decided to use wowza for our project.

Now I’m trying to evaluate what technology we will use to encode a webcam’s feed to send to our wowza server.

I’ve been researching for hours and I most likely don’t know what to search for, since I’m not finding much. From what I can understand, it will require some sort of Flash based interface.

So

A) could you point me toward something I could read about that?

B) Is this what Adobe Media Encoder is for? It looks like an application someone need to install. I’d much prefer to have it embeded into a webpage

C) Any other technology I can use instead of flash? (HTML5 comes to mind). I mean what if the streamer wants to stream from iphone/ipad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

In your Wowza Streaming Engine [install-dir]/examples/ directory, you will find example Flash Player encoding configurations that you can test with. A preview of this setup can be found here:

Flash Player Video Chat Example

Flash Player Webcam Recording Example

We do offer our GoCoder Application for iOS/Android devices but I’m not aware of a player available for iOS devices that will do this, without loading a seperate device application. You can read about work being done with HTML5 encoding here:

Capturing Audio/Video in HTML5

Best regards,

Andrew

Hello,

You’re welcome. At this time, I’m not aware of any flash player alternatives that work on iOS devices.

Best regards,

Andrew

Thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for!

Any other non-flash alternative?

Thanks

Well, I was thinking about a flash alternative for desktop computer as well.

I mean every single person that wants to stream from his webcam has to use flash? There is just no other alternative yet?