Wowza Community

Smooth Streaming Chunk Duration Target

Hello Wowza,

Is the smooth streaming chunk duration configurable like a mpegdashChunkDurationTarget?

I tried to set “smoothChunkDurationTarget” to 2000 and mp4 GOP to 1 sec as a factor of the chunk duration. But the result chunk size seems to be only 1 sec, not twice the size of GOP.

Best regards,

Tomonori

Hi,

Yes, but the property names are different. The following guide lists the properties used for SmoothStreaming Packetization.

The one you are interested in is smoothManifestTargetDuration.

Daren

I don’t typically utilize Smooth Streaming for VOD playback, but I have a client who’s targeting a setup box that supports DRM over Smooth Streaming only. I haven’t enabled DRM on the test stream, but the GoP size is 2 seconds and the video playback shows artifacting and reports errors in the log. VLC can’t play the stream “smoothly” either, but a variety of desktop browser-based Silverlight players have no issues playing the stream.

Hi,

There really isn’t a equivalent for VOD smooth streaming. What is the intended result?

With Smooth streaming it’s important to keep the Keyframe interval down to 4 seconds or below,

with 2 seconds being more preferable. So encoded files to be played in Smooth Streaming players

should adhere to this.

Daren

Hello Daren,

I would like to configure VOD chunk duration, not Live.

I tried to add the smoothManifestTargetDuration property to the / and also to the / like the mpegdash. But the both did not affect to VOD streams.

Would you let me know how to configure smoothManifestTargetDuration for VOD?

Best regards,

Tomonori

Thank you Daren,

We had tested keyframe interval 1 second and 2 seconds. And found another problem at 1 second with non-PC device.

So, we choose 2 seconds for keyframe interval. Then the smooth streaming chunk size also be 2 seconds that I indended.

Tomonori

Hello,

Can you post examples of the errors in the log that you are seeing?

Regards,

Jason Hatchett