Wowza Community

Number of streaming clients can Wowaz support?

Does anybody have any rules-of-thumb to keep in mind when working with Wowza for planning purposes? If I wanted to set up a standalone wireless gigabit network, with no internet access, how many dual band clients can I reasonably expect to serve? I understand the amount of variables that are needed to provide a direct answer, but in general, if I serve 720p30 video at 2.0Mbps, with one Wowaz server on a standalone network, streaming RTSP, how many clients can receive that stream before network congestion becomes an issue? Each client will have dual band wifi, no audio, and only be used to display the video that is served.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

With a 1g nic (20% overhead accounted for.) = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams.

You can use this formula for calculating:

number of users * stream bitrate + 20% IP overhead = total server bandwidth

You will have to test your actual server/network using the load test tool, or monitoring utilization in production. You must be properly tuned. And to achieve maximum levels you may have to tune your server and network in other ways outside Wowza.

Regards,

Salvadore

Is 1080P at 3Mbps the same as 720P at 3Mbps?

Yes, these streams have the same network utilization. Resolution is not a relevant metric here.

I see I forgot a link to the Load-Test-Tool. You may want to test your network to see what it can actually handle.

Regards,

Salvadore

With a 1g nic (20% overhead accounted for.) = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams.

You can use this formula for calculating:

number of users * stream bitrate + 20% IP overhead = total server bandwidth

You will have to test your actual server/network using the load test tool, or monitoring utilization in production. You must be properly tuned. And to achieve maximum levels you may have to tune your server and network in other ways outside Wowza.

Regards,

Salvadore

Salvadore,

Thank you for your response. This is wireless, so I would guess there would be more loss. Also, are you suggesting the bit rate is the only thing to be concerned with, or does the resolution need to be considered into a basic calculation as well?

Is 1080P at 3Mbps the same as 720P at 3Mbps?

Thanks again.