Wowza Community

Ngrp vs Smil

Hi,

I’m new to wowza. Can someone please tell me the difference between ngrp vs smil . I read the forum and document but unable to get an idea on those part. Not sure, I have missed any statement while reading the documents

Please advice

NGRP stands for StreamNameGroup. This refers to a block of streams that is defined in the Transcoder template that can be played back using multi-bitrate streaming(dynamically).

One use of a .smil file, for comparison, is to create a “static” list of streams for multi-bitrate VOD streaming.

However, NGRP do not get forwarded to the edge. So for an origin/edge configuration you will need to follow this guide:

How to create and play SMIL files with streams created by Wowza Transcoder

What this will do is create the smil that you will use on the edge with all the same info that the ngrp MediaList has. You will have to take the resultant file and copy it to each edge server, so it is not automated on the edge, but it has all the detailed codec info that you want.

Regards,

Salvadore

Oh great! Thanks for the update, sorry for not getting back sooner. Glad you figured out what you were looking for.

Regards,

Salvadore

@salvadore , Thanks for your quick reply.

Does it mean, Ngrp only suitable on Origin where we have enabled transcoder ?.

Suppose, I’m going to enable transcoder in Edge server and creating group as same as in Origin. Is it possible to view the video from Edge using same ngrp group name this time ?.

Hi, after read the documentation again, I have cleared on Ngrp and smil section. Thanks.