Wowza Community

Receive UDP multicast in wowza

Hello everyone

I have been trying and trying and cannot get a clear hint of why what i am doing is not working.

• I installed the wowza server

• transmiting a video to a multicast ip address from another host

• On a computer with vlc i can reproduce the video using udp://@multicastip:6000 that is being transmitted to the multicastip

All three devices (wowza, host transmiting and computer with vlc) are in the same broadcast domain.

• on the server i have configured

a stream file, f.stream with URI udp://multicastip:6000 and link it to application live

• when i go to incoming streams i can see

f.stream ACTIVE

• if I go into f.stream

Network Throughput

Bytes In: 0 @ 0.000 bits/s

Bytes Out: 0 @ 0.000 bits/s

I do not see any data transfer

• if I go to TEST PLAYERS , Adobe RTPM , start

i receive a status of playing but nothing shows up on screen

• with TEST PLAYERs, ADOBE HDS

Source stream or file could not be found or access was denied.

• TEST PLAYERS, MPEG-DASH

with netstat i see a UDP session established between the wowza server and the multicastip on port 6000

Can someone please indicate what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Hello,

Are you using a single ethernet card in your system or multiple? If multiple, you may need to specify the interface in your VHost.xml file as shown in the following article:

How to listen to multicast on a specific ethernet interface?

Do you have any firewall software that could be blocking UDP port 6000?

What operating system are you using?

Best regards,

Andrew

For anyone else that finds this page while troubleshooting: if Wowza is running on Linux with multiple interfaces, you may need to disable reverse path filtering in Linux. The filter is dropping all packets not on the same subnet as the interface. While this is usually a good thing, the multicast source may not be on the same subnet as the interface you expect to receive multicast streams on. The following command needs to be executed by root and will disable reverse path filtering for all interfaces. I have not been successful in disabling the filter for a specific interface in Ubuntu 16.04 but there may be a way.

echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter