Wowza Community

Need clairification for MPEG-DASH use with Windows 7 and IE 11

Hello,

Being new to media streaming set up and configurations, I was hoping someone here might be able to clarify a few things for me while I go thru this process.

My company has purchased the “Wowza Streaming Engine Perpetual Bundle Unlimited Edition License — 1 Year Maintenance & Support”, along with the JW Player.

The plan is to set up a streaming media server with JW Player integration. I have been testing the provided MPEG-DASH player that comes with Wowza and have run into a snag. It seems that MPEG-DASH does not play nice with Windows 7 and IE 11. I have had success getting the MPEG-DASH player test working with Chrome, but not IE 11.

From what I read, IE 11 works ok with newer versions of Windows, 8.1 and 10. Our customers have not yet migrated off of Windows 7 yet.

I have read that IE 11 does not have Media Source Extensions (MSE) that work with Windows 7 and I found on Microsoft’s website it says: ““Important This feature is not supported in IE11 on Windows 7.”” Link here --> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594470(v=vs.85).aspx

So am I hitting a brick wall or is this going to be possible to stream MPEG-DASH using JW Player to desktops running Windows 7 with IE 11 as the only web browser available to the end users?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Hi,

JW Player uses the Google Shaka player to provide the Mpeg Dash streaming capability, as does Wowza’s own Test page player.

The Shaka player, unfortunately in this case, ‘requires’ MSE to work, and as you pointed out IE 11 on Windows 7 does not have MSE support.

I’m not sure there is anything that can be done in this case if using a player based on Shaka player.

Daren

bitplayer seems able 2 play dash on ie 11 win7 using flash

http://www.dash-player.com/?utm_source=bitdash-free&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=player_contextmenu&utm_campaign=bitmovin__products

Thank you very much for the reply. I expected to hear that result and am grateful you were able to clarify.

Would there be any other recommended player that would have the capability to stream MPEG-DASH from the Wowza Streaming engine to Windows 7 / IE11 desktops??