Wowza Community

hardware requirement

Hi all,

I have a question regarding hardware requirements of a virtual machine. Last week we had a livestream with 150 concurrent viewers at 1.6Mbit/sec. The server is on a 1GB line so bandwidth was not an issue.

when we reach the 130 concurrent viewers the video was pauzed every 5 seconds. While the audio was still going al long. Sometimes the complete stream stopped for a couple of seconds…

We are running Wowza on Ubuntu 14 in VirtualBox

2 CPU

4GB memory

Network: 1Gb Ethernet (shared)

Should this be enough to handle 150 concurrent viewers? And what kind of hardware is needed to server 800 mbit’s of data?

Thanks in advance

Jules

Hi

Bandwidth is normally the factoring issue for maximum connections, the minimum spec for Wowza is this:

System Requirements

Minimum recommended production hardware

CPU: Single Quad Core, 3.00 GHz or better

RAM: 4GB

Disk: 2 or more in RAID 0 (striping)

Network: 1Gb Ethernet

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 or greater or Java Development Kit (JDK) 6 or greater

With a 1g nic (20% overhead accounted for.) = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams.

You can use this formula for calculating:

number of users * stream bitrate + 20% IP overhead = total server bandwidth

You will have to test your actual server/network using the load test tool, or monitoring utilization in production. You must be properly tuned. And to achieve maximum levels you may have to tune your server and network in other ways outside Wowza.

Best,

Salvadore

I talked to the datacenter and they told me there was plenty of bandwidth left. I guess it has something to do with the hardware then. I will try to tune the machine and use the load test tool. Thanks in advance.

Hi…as per my knowledge depending on used database engine, type of received values, disk space for keeping a single value may vary from 40 bytes to hundreds of bytes. Normally it is around 50 bytes per value.

pcb assembly process