Wowza Community

MPEG-TS(H264 + AC3) input to RTSP output

Hi All,

Had a look around on the forums but I’m not sure anybody has gotten this working (and I guess Wowza doesn’t support it), but I thought I’d open a thread anyway.

We currently have many (50+) streams coming in via multicast (ffprobe):

Stream #0:0[0x1389]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
Stream #0:1[0x1394]: Audio: ac3 ([6][0][0][0] / 0x0006), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s

And we are using Wowza to turn them into unicast rtsp streams for our set top boxes (+ add some access control with our custom token system). This works great for the streams with mpeg2 audio, but ac3 audio doesn’t seem to passthrough to the rtp stream:

RTPPlayer.describe: No audio packetizer[1]: AC3

RTP should support AC3 as there is no protocol specified codec and our STB can decode AC3 aswell. Is there any way to get this working with Wowza?

Since we are a startup iptv provider we really don’t have the capital to invest in nice elemental transcoders to solve the problem. Each stream is approx 13Mbit/s (audio+video) so Wowza transcoder isn’t really an option either.

I’ve tried

<RTP>
	<Properties>
		<Property>
			<Name>mpegtsImportAC3</Name>
			<Value>true</Value>
			<Type>Boolean</Type>
		</Property>
	<Properties>
</RTP>

But no luck.

Many thanks to all :slight_smile:

(Related thread: http://www.wowza.com/community/t/-/38991 but here they want to output HLS/Dash, which works, but our STB’s can’t do).

Hi,

Currently Wowza Streaming Engine does not support the delivery of AC3 passthru over RTSP.

I’ve passed this along to our Product Management team as a suggested feature,

but there’s no time frame associated with this.

Daren

Thanks for passing it on. For small scale IPTV providers this would solve a lot of headaches and financing issues :slight_smile:

+1 definitely see applications for this, we currently transcode the AC3 with ffmpeg but this isn’t flawless with live streaming.

Since the standard seems to support it, please add this feature to Wowza :slight_smile: