Wowza Community

VOD RTSP multicast

HI

I have Wowza streaming engine 4.3 with the VOD configured for video files that are located on my hard drive

I have a player that accepts an RTSP stream. Is it possible for Wowza to stream RTSP in multicast using the VOD configuration?

If yes how can I configure it

Thanks

Robert

Hi,

It is not possible to have the Wowza Streaming Engine push a multicast stream for a video on demand content. It is possible to have a Live stream being pushed by Wowza to a multicast IP/port address.

It is possible to have a VOD file scheduled to be played back as a live stream at a specific time (using the ServerListenerStreamPublisher) and then push the generated live stream to the multicast address.

Zoran

Hello,

Using the method that Zoran described, Wowza Streaming Engine would use a Stream Target/Push Publishing to push this live stream containing a scheduled playlist of VOD content to a local multicast IP address in your network. Players would then connect directly to the local multicast IP address source within your network and pull the stream.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hello,

The most likely limitation in a unicast scenario would be the PC performance. You can reference the server specifications page for recommended minimum and high load scenarios.

You could also use one of the cloud computing providers to demo the software with your source VOD files. This would be a low cost way to get performance information. You would want to select a licensed Pro Edition (HVM) instance as the BYOB + Trial License key is limited to 10 simultaneous connections.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hello,

This dual NIC setup should be possible utilizing the Stream Targets/Push Publishing feature, along with the server’s routing table. In this you would set a destination multicast IP address in the Stream Target entry, then to determine which interface should be used, routes would need to be added to the server’s routing table pointing to a specific interface.

You may find that any bottleneck with the server is likely to be CPU related, rather than a network bandwidth issue but this could vary depending on the workflow.

Best regards,

Andrew

Thanks. Does the Wowza multicast support a push method? Is it possible to support the mulitcast stream using a pull method. Where the decoder request whether the streaming is unicast or multicast?

Thanks

Robert

Hi

Thanks for the reply. When using the VOD without using the ServerListenerStreamPublisher how many unicast streams can the Wowza server handle? Is there a limit or is it based on the PC performance.

If it is based on the PC, what specifications would you recommend for streaming 10 VOD files at 1080p60?

Thanks

Robert

Hi

Thanks for the reply

To improve performance, is it possible to use a second network card in the system and select which VOD streams are sent to which network card/port.

If yes, is there instruction on how to configure this?

I plan on streaming around 60 MP4 files (H.264 based) @ approximately 9-10Mbps per stream (Using the VOD option)

Thanks

Robert