Thread: Maximum number of livestreams

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Maximum number of livestreams

Hi, we use Wowza 3.6. Month ago we had 16 IP cameras and everything worked as it should except that the memory usage was at 90% (4GB). Now we have 20 streams and everything works, but after a few hours of work, CPU utilization jumps from 80% to 360% (Java) and memory usage remains almost the same. Network bandwidth is not a problem, nor the number of users. With a few more streams processor chokes. I doubt that the amount of memory is problem.
    What I'm really interested in is the maximum number of streams that server can have and how that can be calculated.
    For example I have:
    Intel® Core ™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600
    4GB 1333 MHz

Are you doing any transcoding? If so, typically you will create more than one output stream for each input so this will place a much larger load on the system per incoming stream. We do have a transcoding benchmark article that can help you estimate your system's capabilities.

In Linux OS environments, any extra memory available is utilized for caching content but you could be light on memory, as 20 incoming source streams is a moderate load for most servers. If you reference the Wowza Streaming Engine specifications page, 4GB is the minimum recommended memory for a server. If you do a "top" command it should show you how much is being utilized for caching and a clue that you maybe low on memory is the amount of swap memory in use. Swap space is used when the amount of physical memory (RAM) is full.

Best regards,