Wowza Community

ABR with Load Balanced Edge/Origin Configuration and Dynamic Stream Names

I current have a stack of Wowza Streaming Engine servers running in an Edge/Origin configuration which sits behind a Wowza server using the Load Balancer 4.0 Module. All content consumed on these servers is live and in RTMP or HLS format, and all content uses a dynamic stream name.

I need to have adaptive bit rate streaming available using this configuration, but as the stream names are dynamic, it isn’t possible for me to put matching .smil files on each of the edge servers. I have also tried using the Java API based MediaList (amlst) on the edge servers, but it appears that this only works on non-edge servers.

That being said. I was wondering what the optimal way to achieve adaptive bit rate stream access for both RTMP and HLS given this current configuration. As a stopgap, I have our media players referencing each transcoded stream individually and have created logic around these, but I would like to use the full power of adaptive streaming if at all possible with my current setup.

I actually resolved this issue. The Java API based MediaList does work on edge servers. One of my servers was behaving oddly after changing some Java config stuff, but on the rest of my instances I am able to now get a medialist representation of my streams behind a load balanced edge/origin configuration.

Thank you for updating this post and glad to hear you got this sorted.

Regards,

Salvadore