Wowza Community

Push HLS from encoder to Wowza

Hi,

I know that in the past it was impossible to push an HLS stream to wowza directly from the encoder. My questions is - is it possible now?

Alternatively, can Wowza pull an HLS stream from local encoder?

Basically what we’re trying to achieve is a setup where we push HLS stream from an encoder to Wowza server, and later pull this stream by CDN, by way of Live HTTP origin.

Thanks a lot,

Alex

Hello,

HLS ingest using Wowza Streaming Engine and Wowza Streaming Cloud is a feature that is being considered by our Product Development Team but hasn’t been possible before. We currently support RTSP/RTMP, RTMP, MPEG-TS and ICY (SHOUTcast/Icecast) as ingest options. For a complete list of ingest/output options please see the Wowza Specifications page.

If your encoder can output any of the supported Wowza ingest protocols, you could ingest into Wowza and use an HTTP Origin Application to output HLS streams for CloudFront or other pull type CDN.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Does it mean that we cannot pull HLS from the encoder as well?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Currently Wowza Streaming Engine does not support live ingest of any HTTP-based streaming protocol/format. Apple HLS is on the roadmap but does not have a confirmed timeframe.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

-Jamie

I see that we can’t still pull HLS from wowza from my Wowza push server. Any idea if there’s an external extension / codebase, or when this maybe done?

Thanks,
Arvind

Hi Arvind,

So I can provide you with the right information, can you describe your workflow and where Wowza sits in that workflow?

Thanks,
-Jamie