Wowza Community

Wowza is having 15 - 25 second delay on LAN. (Live Stream using JW Player)

Hello everyone!

First, thanks so much for taking some of your time to help me with this. I will describe what I have done and what I am getting. I would also like to let you know that I’m a newbie on this.

This is my scenario:

• My PC: 8Gb Ram / Core i7

• I’m working with the Wowza trial version. (To see if this tool really works for me)

• I’m streaming from an Android device (Gocoder) (352x288 / 280 kbps / Just Video)

• I have updated the server to production performance.

• I have to stream that live streaming to Android AND iOS devices.

• I followed these steps to reduce the latency.

• I’m using JW Player and followed the steps you can see on this page. “Simple RTMP and Apple HLS streaming example” section. (Self-Hosted mode)

• I have a WAMP server installed, where I have created a demo web page. There I implemented the JWPlayer as you can see above.

And now the thing is that, when I open on Chrome the demo web page I created for testing on WAMP and reproduce the Live Video using JWplayer on the computer where I have installed the Wowza Server. I’m getting 1 sec delay. (Great!)

BUT when access the demo web page I created for testing on WAMP, with an Android OR iOS device I’m getting 15-25 secs delay. This is happening in LAN so I think this shouldn’t have that long delay.

Notes:

• I have also tried using the “Cloud-Hosted Player” version on JWPlayer, but the delay is also too long.

• For some reason, when I remove the .m3u8 link from the example below the “Simple RTMP and Apple HLS streaming example” section of this page, the video cant be reproduced. I really need to add the rtmp (android) version in the example to reproduce the video. Im not sure why this is happening.

I already saw this thread:

Testing Wowza on LAN - is a 10-20 second delay typical?

And followed the recommendations the community gave to “leonardteo” but the delay is still too long.

Is it possible to reduce the delay on devices to 1 sec?

Please help me with this! have spent a lot of time trying to see what could be happening, but I cant figure it out what is going on. Maybe this is normal? Any suggestion?

Best Regards,

Orlando

Hello,

What you are describing is essentially difference between HTTP streaming vs. low-latency RTMP or RTSP protocols, and sounds normal. With HTTP streaming, once the stream is started, the video is segmented into chunks and a chunklist/manifest file is built to direct the player to the correct chunk files for playback. This process does typically take several seconds using the default settings. You can reduce this down but 1 second is probably going to be unreliable for HTTP streaming. To adjust these settings you will want to reduce the HLS packetizer settings as described in this article:

How To Configure Apple HLS Packetization

Newer Android devices and iOS devices use HLS streaming, whereas the computer you’re using likely supports rtmp streaming. JWPlayer will direct your device the the appropriate stream type.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi,

This is now being handled in a support ticket (167191).

Regards,

Jason

Hi Orlando,

If the steps listed in the links are not working properly I would suggest zipping up your conf/ and logs/ directories and open a ticket with our Support Team, so we can further diagnose this issue.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hello andrew_r!

Thanks so much for your answer.

I have followed the steps I found on the link you provided but I’m still having a very very long delays (30-40 secs). These steps seems to work for most of the people, why they could not be working for me?

Here you can see my Cupertino Streaming Packetizer: http://screencast.com/t/ePVHMIcYFJZe

Here you can see my low latency configuration: http://screencast.com/t/D9lpakglDX

Maybe you need any extra information from my side about my configurations? Or any suggestion?

If you don’t have any other suggestions about this. What other Wowza’s resources I can reach out to? This is really important for me…

Thanks in advice!

Best Regards,

Orlando

Hi andrew_r!

Thanks again for your answer. I tried to open a Support Ticket, but it says: “We can’t find maintenance and support for this account. Let’s get to the bottom of this! Do any of these scenarios apply to you?”.

I’m currently working with the trial version of Wowza. Maybe you don’t have support for people with trial version? This is weird for me… Since I’m using the trial version of Wowza to see if this tool really works for me. (But this is not happening with the issue I currently have with long delays)

So, should I get a Wowza license to get the support I need to check the issue and see if the tool really works for me? If we are not able to fix the issue? What will I do?

Please let me know if there is something you can do for me.

Best Regards,

Orlando

Thanks so much! Andy_E / andrew_r

-Orlando

Hi Orlando,

It looks to me like you do have a trial license active for Wowza Streaming Engine. This does give you technical support. Will you please try to submit the ticket again via email?

Create a support ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com. Include a copy of your [install-dir]/conf and /logs folders as a .zip file so we can take a closer look at your configuration and server activity. Also, please include a reference to this post.

Thanks

Andy_E