Thread: How to protect playback of separate groups of files from the same VOD application?

Default How to protect playback of separate groups of files from the same VOD application?

Hello everybody.

I know Wowza Streaming Engine supports token protection for each VOD application. Though I need to protect each groups of files (maybe in subfolders) of the same VOD application with its own different token. Is there a way to achieve this on Wowza, maybe with some existing module, or do I have to write my own module?

If using Secure Token (v2) then the hash includes the stream name, e.g.the file sample.mp4 played back in the 'vod' application

PHP Code:
    $stream "vod/_definst_/mp4:sample.mp4";
    $start time();
    $end strtotime("+30 minutes");
    $secret "abcde";
    $tokenName "wowzatoken"
    Hash calculation made by playback client:

PHP Code:
    $hash hash('sha384'$stream."?".$secret."&{$tokenName}endtime=".$end."&{$tokenName}starttime=".$starttrue); 

So the hash should be unique for each stream. You would just need to amend the $stream value for each stream you request. If your files are in sub-folders under the defined storage dir then that can be included in the $stream, e.g.

$stream = "vod/myfolder/mp4:sample.mp4";

We have a sample PHP script that can be used as a basis for calculating and optionally playing embedding a player for secure token streams. Feel free to request it if required.