Wowza Community

How to protect playback of separate groups of files from the same VOD application?

Hello everybody.

I know Wowza Streaming Engine supports token protection for each VOD application. Though I need to protect each groups of files (maybe in subfolders) of the same VOD application with its own different token. Is there a way to achieve this on Wowza, maybe with some existing module, or do I have to write my own module?

Hi,

If using Secure Token (v2) then the hash includes the stream name, e.g.the file sample.mp4 played back in the ‘vod’ application

[PHP]

$stream = “vod/definst/mp4:sample.mp4”;

$start = time();

$end = strtotime("+30 minutes");

$secret = “abcde”;

$tokenName = “wowzatoken”;

[/PHP]

Hash calculation made by playback client:

[PHP]

$hash = hash(‘sha384’, $stream."?".$secret."&{$tokenName}endtime=".$end."&{$tokenName}starttime=".$start, true);

[/PHP]

So the hash should be unique for each stream. You would just need to amend the $stream value for each stream you request. If your files are in sub-folders under the defined storage dir then that can be included in the $stream, e.g.

$stream = "vod/myfolder/mp4:sample.mp4";

We have a sample PHP script that can be used as a basis for calculating and optionally playing embedding a player for secure token streams. Feel free to request it if required.

Paul