Thread: Limited Bandwidth Message Keeps Popping Up Even with Good Wifi

Default Limited Bandwidth Message Keeps Popping Up Even with Good Wifi

Hi,

I'm trying to test out livestreaming using Wowza's iOS GoCoder app to a C4.xlarge instance on EC2, but I'm constantly getting the popup message saying "Limited Bandwidth". And the stream using the test players on the Wowza EC2 instance keeps buffering. I'm on a 60Mbps download and 3Mbps upload, so I'm not understanding why I keep seeing this popup livestreaming 700kbps? My settings:
    - 30 fps
    - 30 keyframe interval
    - 640x360

What am I missing? How can I better diagnose what is going on? This seems to be a vanilla Wowza setup using a powerful EC2 instance with default Wowza settings using a pretty fast internet connection. This sounds like it should be a slam dunk for Wowza to handle this, but it is far from it.

BTW, few other notes:
    - This works ok when Wowza is hosted on a local machine on our network
    - I've tried on both EC2 and Google Cloud Platform

Thanks!
    Aaron

Hello,

I would recommend doing a speed test of your local network and as a test trying lower settings, ie 30 fps, 60 keyframe interval, 320 x 240 to see if the "limited bandwidth" error still comes up.

Best,

Jason Tuchler
    Wowza Media Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_T View Post
    Hello,

I would recommend doing a speed test of your local network and as a test trying lower settings, ie 30 fps, 60 keyframe interval, 320 x 240 to see if the "limited bandwidth" error still comes up.

Best,

Jason Tuchler
    Wowza Media Systems
    Hi Jason,

Yes, we've been running speed tests and our upload speeds using SpeakEasy speed test range from 3-4Gbps, but using TestMy.Net it shows a lower speed anywhere from 400kbps to 1Gbps. A lot depends on time of day, but in general we have a top of the line business class cable modem connection (100Gbps down 5Gbps up), so if it doesn't work on this connection which is the best option we have here in Los Angeles, how will it work for most other people? Periscope and other live streaming apps seem to work OK with this same connection, what are they doing differently?

This is legitimately scaring us as just out of the box GoCoder --> Wowza on EC2 C4.xlarge using a broadband internet connection just flat out doesn't work during the day for livestreaming 360p resolution. What are we missing? Do these other apps have variable bitrates for uploading? Do we need to incorporate multiple ingest points?

We would be interested in Wowza Streaming Cloud, but the fact that it doesn't support VOD is a deal breaker.

Thanks!

Hello Baller,

I'm going to have a ticket opened to have you further assisted with this matter. Please be on the lookout for the ticket information that will be emailed to you shortly.

Sincerely,

Rob

I just experienced the same problem with the GoCoder app and Wowza Streaming Cloud streaming to Facebook. We were supposed to use GoCoder to stream and record a live Q&A session at an event yesterday. Although we had 180 Mpbs up speed tests the GoCoder kept giving us the bandwidth pop-up every few seconds. We first were trying to use 720p and we worked our way down to the lower resolutions but we always got the pop-up message except at 320x240 which is a useless resolution. It was totally worthless at the event and frankly I wasted $50 signing up for the Streaming Cloud service for this event.

We ended up using Facebook's Go Love functionality and that worked fine. So the Facebook app worked without one problem and GoCoder failed miserably.

I have done testing with GoCoder streaming to Wowza Streaming Engine servers in the ec2 environment and had no problems. As soon as I used the combination of GoCoder and Streaming Cloud and Facebook the trouble began.

Tom

Hello,

When using Wowza Streaming Cloud did you select the closest Broadcast Region when creating the Live Stream? Using any cloud provider EC2/Wowza Streaming Cloud selecting the closest region to your broadcast location is crucial to creating low latency ingest streams.

Best regards,
    Andrew