Wowza Community

Can i use webm files in dash manifest without transcoder?

Hi,

I want to use webm files in my manifest for vod streaming without transcoder.When i request the manifest with http://domainname:1935/vod/smil:gm.smil/manifest.mpd

I get the “java.lang.Exception: QTUtils.parseQTMediaContainer: File is missing ‘moov’ atom” error in logs. I don’t have any problem with MP4 dash. Is webm dash without transcoding unsupported in Wowza? Thanks

The SMIL file is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Hello,

At this time, only live applications in Wowza Streaming Engine can ingest WebM-encoded source streams or you can transcode an H.264-encoded source stream to the WebM format. The feature on WebM on demand playback has not yet been added to Wowza Streaming Engine.

Best,

JasonT

This feature would be very helpful for our company, we want to progress on using DASH+WEBM same way we use HLS+MP4 by simply uploading video+audio+smil files to our CDN and wowza doing the rest as it does for HLS but we can’t.

At the moment, if we want to use DASH+WEBM we will have to generate manifests on our side and not on CDN side which reflects in less flexibility and huge costs for us, plus, if we start developing that now and you end up releasing that feature it in a near future, our investment in development and processing power will be useless.

Do you have any plans to implement this in a near future? Any ETA?

Hello satirio,

This feature request has been added to the Wowza Streaming Engine request list. Although there is no ETA on this feature, you can keep up to date with future releases by following the RSS feed in this article.

Regards,

Alex

This feature would be very helpful for our company, we want to progress on using DASH+WEBM same way we use HLS+MP4 by simply uploading video+audio+smil files to our CDN and wowza doing the rest as it does for HLS but we can’t.

At the moment, if we want to use DASH+WEBM we will have to generate manifests on our side and not on CDN side which reflects in less flexibility and huge costs for us, plus, if we start developing that now and you end up releasing that feature it in a near future, our investment in development and processing power will be useless.

Do you have any plans to implement this in a near future? Any ETA?