Wowza Community

Twitch/YouNow style RTMP publishing authentication in WSE

Twitch, YouNow, Youtube and others have an RTMP system that authenticates publishers through a “private” stream key. Now I understand that the stream key is basically the stream name in Wowza, however in the YouNow system, this key is private only to the publisher. As I understand it, in Wowza streaming engine, the stream name is not private and known to all viewers.

Here is an example of YouNow’s OBS configuration instructions: https://younow.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206439166-External-Streaming-Settings-

Is there a way to implement this kind of system in Wowza Streaming Engine? My assumptions is that this needs custom development using the Java APIs but any other insight is also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, the stream name can be restricted via a custom module development (not to complex).

Otherwise if you just want to secure the publishing there are other feature already available like authentication, secoreToken…

Gerard

Thanks Gerard. Appreciate the response.

Yes, the stream name can be restricted via a custom module development (not to complex).

Its great news that it is possible. Some pointers on how it can be done would also be great as well. Any examples, tutorials, API classes or interfaces, or anything else that will help me started would be invaluable.

Thanks again,

Matt