Wowza Community

very high memory use, and how to switch to larger ec2 instance

I have noticed very high memory usage on my EC2 instance, where even with no streams in or out the usage is ~95%. I can’t see any reason why it should be anywhere near this high. I’m concerned this is causing some serious stream quality issues we’re seeing in our testing (how could it not?). The memory doesn’t seem to really go up any above the ~95% level during our tests with one stream in and a few out, but the stream quality is really bad. CPU levels stay low, so that’s not an issue.

Is there a tutorial on how I can switch to a more powerful EC2 instance (we have a c4.xlarge, so I would like to try a c4.2xlarge and see what happens) while maintaining the same IP address? Is that at all possible? It would be much easier not to have to change where all our players are pointed.

So I upgraded to an instance with twice the memory, and the total memory usage dropped from ~95% to ~10%, which seems to say to me that there was a whole bunch of stuff running on the instance sucking up memory but not doing anything. Any idea how to diagnose such things to try to figure out what’s going on and avoid such a problem in the future?

Hello,

I would check process monitor to see what processes are using up memory.

It’s possible that there was a memory leak somewhere Java Heap Dump

If this happens again, I would recommend opening up a support ticket for Wowza Support to further investigate. Create a support ticket

Best,

Jason Tuchler

Wowza Media Systems