Wowza Community

streampublisher - not working, how to diagnose

• I am trying to make a internet TV channel with Wowza.

single TV channel that is viewable via desktop web page, mobile web page, mobile app, and RTMP or MPEG-DASH stream (for integration into android or apple TV boxes)

I followed the instructions here: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-schedule-streaming-with-wowza-streaming-engine-streampublisher

Namely I

• download and installed the plugin

• added the server and application properties (I assume I need to use the “live” application)

• created an SMIL file (I hope it is correct)

• uploaded my mp4 files to the content directory

I am trying to test it out with some jwplayer code on a plain HTML page

I dont know whether the scheduler is set up correctly on the server side and its just the client side code having a problem, or something else. I am not tied to JWPlayer, I am just looking for a way to view via web-page.

Can you or someone help? I am stuck.

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

Please perform the following to help us troubleshoot this configuration.

1: Double check the configuration is setup correctly by following the guide step by step. Also confirm the .smil file is located in the application’s content storage directory. By default this is /content. Make sure there are no typos, particularly in the name of the .smil file and the name of the .smil file the module is looking for.

2: You can confirm the setup by using the provided, sample .smil file contents in the guide.

3: Test the configuration with one of the Wowza provided sample players. These can be found in the [install-dir]/examples directory.

4: Make sure you are using the right stream name. For example, the sample .smil declares 2 streams and

So if you were using the Wowza provided RTMP player, the playback URL would be:

rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/[app-name]/Stream1

NOTE: The application StreamType must be “live”

Regards,

Salvadore

Yes, use one of the test players provided by Wowza through the Test Player page in the Engine Manager. Make sure you are using the correct URL format for the test player you are using. Also you will want to use “Stream1” in this case, as the stream name.

So, for simplicity, if you use the RTMP player the URL would be:

rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/Stream1

Make sure that “file1.mp4” and “file2.mp4” are also located in the same content folder as the .smil

Regards,

Salvadore

Great! Now that you confirmed the correct, working configuration you can work through this JW Player guide:

How to use JW Player with Wowza Streaming Engine

Best,

Salvadore

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

It looks like you omitted the “Scheduled” parameter in the .smil file. It should be something like this:

<playlist name="pl1" playOnStream="Stream1" repeat="true" scheduled="2016-04-15 16:00:00">

From the guide, it says:

Set the scheduled parameter to start the playlist at a specific time. If the begin time is in the past, each playlist is loaded in order and immediately replaces the previous playlist for the stream.

I hope this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

Different players on different networks or devices may take different amounts of time to startup the stream due to buffering etc. I’m not sure what you mean by opening a stream, closing the window, and then finding it not exactly 10 minutes into the stream when you come back. If you are closing down the client and restarting it then again you will have some differences due to startup as before. If you leave the player streaming for that period then it should be accurate.

Paul

Thanks Salvadore.

1. InstallationLibrary File exists

ieeeee1@ubuntu-512mb-nyc2-01:/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/lib$ ls -l wse*

-rw-r–r-- 1 ieeeee1 ieeeee1 21639 May 22 20:23 wse-plugin-streampublisher.jar

1. Configuration - I chose ServerListenerStreamPublisher because it seems simpler. I just need 1 channel.

Added com.wowza.wms.plugin.streampublisher.ServerListenerStreamPublisher as Server Listener

Added streamPublisher Schedules streams and playlists. com.wowza.wms.plugin.streampublisher.ModuleStreamPublisher to the default Live application

Added the server properties

Path Name Type Value

/Root/Server streamPublisherApplication String live

/Root/Server streamPublisherVHost String defaultVHost

Added to the Live Application

/Root/Application streamPublisherSmilFile String shifa-schedule.smil

/Root/Application streamPublisherPassMetaData Boolean true

/Root/Application streamPublisherSwitchLog Boolean true

SMIL file in content directory

ieeeee1@ubuntu-512mb-nyc2-01:/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/content$ ls -l *.smil

-rw-r–r-- 1 ieeeee1 ieeeee1 503 May 30 14:36 shifa-schedule.smil

Contents are

?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?>

Thanks, I do get something working via the test player. Good progress!

How could I embed that in a web page - do I just take the entire samples directory for RTMP ?

Is there a choice for a cross-platform video player?

I would like to create a web page (preferably in wordpress) which has the video player and have it working on Windoes IE, Chrome, FF, MacOSX Safari, Chrome, FF, along with iOS and Android mobile browsers.

Thanks, I got the JWplayer to work like this

jwplayer(“player”).setup({

sources: [{

file: “rtmp://xyz.abc.dd.ff:1935/live/Stream1”

}

and it works on Mac Chrome and Firefox.

I tried on my iphone and got a jwplayer message and googled - apparently RTMP is not supported on iOS.

I thought I would then grab the mobile code from the Wowza engine test page here http://xyz.abc.dd.ff:1935/live/Stream1/playlist.m3u8

Is that what I should do ?

I got this to work on multiple platforms with video.js (I didnt want to pay for premium JWPlayer)

Works on firefox Mac, iphone 6, Chrome on mac, firefox for mac.

Current problem is performance (10 seconds for stream to start, choppy playback)

I am using a DigitalOcean Linux 1GB RAM and 1CPU.

Any comments on below, or what type of specs I need? Assuming I want to support 150 concurrent streamers

The other question

If I load the iphone and my mac - both play the stream from different locations.

Isn’t the stream broadcasting the same content at the same time to all clients?

Related to this perhaps. If I load the stream on my web page, and then close the window and then come back in 10 minutes, I am not guaranteed to be 10 minutes into the stream.

I have this same problem, did everything exactly like naveeda did and no success. When i try to stream (rtmp://localhost:1935/live1/Stream1) the test player and JWPlayer seem to pick up something, but just show the loading circle forever. It’s like the stream is not picking any video file.

My smil:

<playlist name=“pl1” playOnStream=“Stream1” repeat="true>