Thread: Transcoder, ABR, DVR, horrible playback experience

Question Transcoder, ABR, DVR, horrible playback experience

I'm using Wowza to play and transcode one channel from an Epiphan DVI box and a Tricaster Mini. The DVI stream is 24/7 but maxes out at 480p since its SD, the Mini which only runs for 2-3 hours at a time has tremendous issues with smooth playback on mobile a desktop devices. It jumps all over the DVR stream and constantly freezes every 10-15 seconds. Even on WiFi with 70mbps down I get low quality video on my iPhone and inconsistent playback.

The stream bounces around the DVR, one iOS device will play from the very beginning another from Live, and you can't fast forward to live. Then on the stream, with both iOS and desktop, will occasionally stop, reduce quality, and start up again. Then after about 10 seconds stops, raises quality, then starts again.

Watching a network monitor on the Wowza server I'm seeing the output happen in bursts. Within a 1 second refresh rate for the monitors every other second the traffic dips down to <900Kbps, then jumps up to 2.5Mbps, then back down, then up. There's no consistency. What can I do to resolve this?

Linux, Debian Jessie 8.1, Nvidia Quadro K4000, Nvidia Quadro 2000 Wowza 4.2.0, 1Gbps Eth0.

Hi,

It does seem to point to some performance problems. In order to understand this in more detail I'd suggest you open a support ticket.

Regards,

Paul